Question about gas assist on the Performer

Shawn G

So I have been very happy for the last several years with my one touch 22 kettle so I am going to stick with the familiar for my upgrade. I am looking at getting the deluxe performer. I have table envy! My current scenario is this. 6 or 7 months a year on my back deck right off the kitchen which is my ideal grilling spot. The rest of the year I store the kettle in the front garage and wheel it to the driveway for use, leaving my other grills lonely and confused. I do this strictly because of the winds we get from our back field. It would be manageable to grill back there in the winter but lighting the chimney causes me fits with the wind taking burning embers in every direction while being lit. Would I be able to load up the baskets, start the gas and close the lid with the vents fully open? Any issues I'm missing here?
P.S. Moving a performer back and forth yearly isn't an option. The stairs are to steep and I'm not getting any younger.:unsure:

Wind shield? And I'm not trying to come off as a SA but have you thought about that?

Wind shield? And I'm not trying to come off as a SA but have you thought about that?
Well I actually built a L shape barrier for grilling. Its 5ft high and does a fairly good job but for what ever reason I seem to get a swirling effect every time I light the chimney there. It only happens in the winter and that's why I take the kettle to the garage for the last 3yrs of the 4 we have been here. I'm sure I could make it work if need be I was just curious if the gas assist would function with the lid closed to save me any worry.

Why not get a couple of those nice clip on or hinged tables for your one touch? I like the idea of having tables on both sides.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CBIUW/?tag=tvwb-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YY27PR2/?tag=tvwb-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KWYCGJ2/?tag=tvwb-20
Thanks. Those all look like great options but it doesn't stop my drooling over the newer units.:) If I don't start adding more kettles I'll never be able to contribute to the family photos thread!

Thanks. Those all look like great options but it doesn't stop my drooling over the newer units.:) If I don't start adding more kettles I'll never be able to contribute to the family photos thread!
I like the way you think Shawn.

Well I actually built a L shape barrier for grilling. Its 5ft high and does a fairly good job but for what ever reason I seem to get a swirling effect every time I light the chimney there. It only happens in the winter and that's why I take the kettle to the garage for the last 3yrs of the 4 we have been here. I'm sure I could make it work if need be I was just curious if the gas assist would function with the lid closed to save me any worry.
Unfortunately I don't have my gas assist any more but I think it would work with the top on and the vents wide open. I don't see why it wouldn't.

Yes, you could absolutely do what you’re thinking. But you’d get better results from just leaving the lid in its cradle. I’ve never seen it move from there, and the baskets are very well sheltered in the bowl without the lid. That’s how I’ve taken to lighting charcoal whenever I fire up my SSP, and it works almost as well as using the chimney, without the added bother of dumping the hot charcoal into the baskets.

Yes, you could absolutely do what you’re thinking. But you’d get better results from just leaving the lid in its cradle. I’ve never seen it move from there, and the baskets are very well sheltered in the bowl without the lid. That’s how I’ve taken to lighting charcoal whenever I fire up my SSP, and it works almost as well as using the chimney, without the added bother of dumping the hot charcoal into the baskets.
Thank you very much. That's a great point. I've never owned the baskets so my only experience has been with the chimney. It is when the upper portion of the chimney is starting to light and as you stated on the hot pour that I really get some embers flying around. I guess I'm over thinking this. The answer is right in front of me in just using the baskets. Well, hopefully right in front of me soon enough. Just need some dealers around me to actually get stock. Thanks all for your responses.

When I got my performer it is what got me back into using charcoal. We live in the mountains of Arizona and get swirling winds almost everyday and using a chimney was as you say a lot of embers going everywhere. By putting the lid in it's cradle and using the baskets down in the bowl of the kettle... problem solved.
You will be pleasantly surprised how well it works.

Oh, and pro tip: make sure the bottom vents are all the way open when you’re lighting the charcoal in the baskets. I was lighting up the other day and it wasn’t going. I realized the bottom vents were closed. Opened them up and the situation greatly improved.

Just finished assembly. Think I got the last Crimson in the country! Not the greatest day for its first run but they say rain is good luck. Two issues unfortunately. Seems to be a bubble of some sort under the porcelain inside the bowl right where the one touch sweeps. Also the cover for the ignition is good but I’m assuming that there is supposed to be 2 tabs to hold it. I only have one plastic nub. Doesn’t look like there was ever one on the other side. Guess I’ll see what customer service says tomorrow.

Attachments

• 00162F5B-851F-4CA9-BE57-992EEDE6F693.jpeg
    00162F5B-851F-4CA9-BE57-992EEDE6F693.jpeg
    162.7 KB · Views: 12

Back