Question about fuel consumption

Don Reed

TVWBB Pro
I've recently sold my Chargriller horizontal smoker and have been wanting to get a WSM, preferably the 22.5 but have seen some posts about them being "fuel hogs" which is one of the main reasons I sold the CG.I was told this was the place to get answers so any input will be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I'll come back with posts of a new WSM and some pics.

The WSM will give you better bang for your buck. I had a chargriller as well before I got my 22.5" WSM and it was the best thing I could have done.

The 22.5" WSM does hold a lot of charcoal, approx. 20 lbs. in one load, but it burns a lot longer than the chargriller. With the chargriller even using a basket w/ the minion method I could never get burn times over 4-5 hrs. before I was loading more in. With the WSM I can go 20+ hrs on one 16 lb. bag at a steady 220°.

To help save on fuel when doing smokes under 10 hrs., only fill the ring about half way.

Thanks for the reply, I'll be chomping at the bit waiting for the week end so I can go get it.
One more question, when you fire it up do you wait for it to come up to temp the put the meat in or can you load it up right after you fire it up? this will be a new learning experience for me

Don never sell a grill
icon_biggrin.gif
, you couldn't have got much for the CG & while it's not a great smoker it's a good charcoal grill.
My WSM avg about 3/4 lb / hour. ( wind & ambient temp makes a big difference)
My CG/sfb avg about 1 1/2 lb / hour.

John,
I usually wouldn't have sold this one, but I have another CG I use for grilling in the garage and an old brinkmann charcoal grill as well and when my wife said I could do the Weber if I got rid of something (besides her) I bundled up the smoker with the Brinkmann and a couple of grill things I wasn't useing like a floppy old rib rack,a couple of bcc racks and an old chimney starter for almost $300.

Don,

I've had two Chargrillers. The first I used a ton for about 7 years, and wore it out. I had the smoker side box on it. The second one I just used for grilling.

The WSM is tons better for smoking. My 18.5" uses a ton less fuel. I'm not sure about the 22, but it's got to be less.

"fuel hogs" is not the right word.

I have the 22" and i have filled it with 10 lb max. And i have never needed to refill under a cook.(still have unburnt fuel for next time)

Thanks for all of the input, it all sounds good and exactly what I was hoping to hear. The best explanation that hit like a stick was just think of heating a 15oo sq ft house then think of heating a 2000 sq ft house, it'll take more only because it's bigger and not because it leaks. I pick it up Friday. I can hardly wait.

Compared to a horizontal smoker, any WSM would be a "tea sipper" when it comes to fuel consumption.
icon_wink.gif

You can easily go 10~12 hrs on 8~10lbs of charcoal.

Don,

You can look at it this way too.... We all know heat rises. In a vertical smoker like the WSM, it passes through the food as it naturally rises. In a horizontal smoker, the heat rises into outer space. :)

Obviously, much of the heat in a horizontal gets sent into the cooking chamber, but it has further to travel, and not in the natural direction for heat, so it is far less efficient.

The WSM is also pretty well "insulated" for a smoker, which is why it's so easy to maintain temp. That also means less fuel consumption. I think the 22 is only a "hog" compared to the 18.5.

Yes, the big wsm is understandably going to use more fuel than the little one, but the rack space sure is nice, especially for ribs.

For the BIG WSM, I'd suggest either obtaining a classic size wsm charcoal ring or making one out of expanded metal for shorter cooks.

Back