Question about brisket points...

Laf

TVWBB Member
Hi all. I mainly enjoy smoking shoulders and ribs, but I like a brisket too. I have gone to several grocery stores and have seen they have flat cuts or the whole thing. I always ask for just the points and they never have it. Personally, I really prefer the point cut. Last smoke the butcher told me that an eye round roast is the same thing. The critter maps I have seen show them coming from opposite ends of the steer. Anyone out there know for sure? Am I just crazy? The roast came out great but not as good as I remember. Thanks!

Even if your butcher considers them to have similar qualities-- I don't think so-- eye of round and brisket point aren't the same thing, as your meat chart confirms. A member here used to talk of buying brisket point-only as "brisket, second cut", but it was at a kosher meat market and the price was prohibitively expensive.

Seems like you're dealing with a "butcher" rather than a butcher -- who would know, unquestionably, that the only thing those two cuts have in common is that they're beef.

Thanks for confirming what I believed. You are right, I have been dealing with a "butcher" and should seek out a real meat cutter. If it costs too much, I'll just forget it. Although, in my experience with buying corned beef, the points are always cheaper than the flat. I'll kee trying and thanks for the info.

i live in wisconsin and it is probably the last place in the world i would ever expect to find full packer cut briskets. but my local walmart stocks them right up till the first snow starting in april. might try good old wally world. second best try would be any place that has a large irish population as they are often stocked in such stores in those types of areas.

where i am there is a lot of people that buy them to make sausage, corned beef and grind thier own burger.

Hey Jon, good call on the Wal-Mart packer cut briskets. The one time I did Chris' Midnight Brisket I got one from there. I think I'm going to go to an actual butcher, as I want only the points.

I just joined Sams club last week just so I could purchase whole briskets at a decent price. Only $1.70 up here in the Seattle area. butchers and grocers are charging $4.00 a pound for brisket up here. Robbery if you ask me.

Good idea Clay. I belonged to Sam's Club about 6 years ago but never actually could picture myself buying in such bulk. However, maybe this might be the reason to join again!

Back