Queso Dip & Shotgun Shells

I’ve learned to really like shotgun shells, I put them on a rack and flip them in toto, turning them individually takes too long! The wrap and refrigerate overnight trick, which was NOT disclosed in the first video I saw, is the game changer for me. Make them up the day before, rack them, fridge them overnight, pull the rack an hour or so before chambering them place a second rack on top, flip and sauce.
I tried doing some .45ACP using rigatoni, (more work than they are worth)!
The dip looks dandy! My meat balls were a little sweet for my blood sugar but, I don’t do them like this very often. And won’t for a LONG time?

Last edited:
Queso looks outstanding.....but I want to hear more on how you felt about the shotgun shells.....
Seen them here before.......also read about making them the day before to help with the pasta portion being soft.
If you could give us the finer details I would be interested for sure.....
Flavors, pasta tenderness......what you would have changes ect......
I thought about making them but it still isn't one of those thing I feel like I have to make yet.

Queso looks outstanding.....but I want to hear more on how you felt about the shotgun shells.....
Seen them here before.......also read about making them the day before to help with the pasta portion being soft.
If you could give us the finer details I would be interested for sure.....
Flavors, pasta tenderness......what you would have changes ect......
I thought about making them but it still isn't one of those thing I feel like I have to make yet.
I made them the day before as suggested to soften up the shells. The shells didn't soften up as much as expected, and you could taste them. To be perfectly honest, they lacked flavor. I duplicated Meat Church's method except I didn't have any Hatch Chilies and it just wasn't all that. A moink is probably better, they're pretty much the same thing except that the moink isn't shelled. Don't get me wrong, they were OK and they are novel, but just not all that (imho)

“Shells” give quite a bit of return for appetizers in less final stage than many more hands on constantly appetizers.
My recipe is pretty much like all the rest,
I like Italian sausage, cheese, a little jalapeno sometimes(wife isn’t much of a spicy fan) herbs of choice maybe green onion and maybe a teaspoon of water.
Mix by hand and stuff the manicotti shells, wrap with bacon, rack them in the fridge overnight,
Smoke, slice and serve.
Not hard once you get the hang of it.
First recipe I used didn’t say anything about the overnight rest, those made me angry for the waste of product! The second batch with the overnight? Game changer!
Darryl, get on it, you will like them! I don’t always sauce them but, that’s a broad variable.
I strongly recommend the experiment!
Edit,
After reading Chuck’s observations, he makes a good point, they need to be “stronger” than you might think to give the pasta some “character”. I think that’s why I use Italian sausage and bump the fennel one pound of sausage and a healthy cup of cheese will fill a box of shells (depending on how many are broken) without too much leftover.
I still say try it.

Last edited:
I made these just a week or so ago and let them sit in the fridge for 4 hours before cooking. Shells were pretty soft. Make sure the bacon completely covers the shells. Where they are exposed they get a bit crunchy. I only used Italian sausage with cheese and some chopped green chili and a bit of BBQ rub seasoning. Could have gone much stronger on the spice and hot Italian sausage would have been better for my taste. I did sauce them at the end but thought they would have been fine without.

So it need extra flavor to go......
I have some ground pork ready to go but I think that may be mild......
I will look into it.........
Spice it up! The pasta will “soften” the stronger seasoning and, is worth it! Anthony may have a good point about the 4 hour timing, I just am one of those guys that likes to get as much done as far in advance as I can and overnight is just convenient.

I haven't watched the video yet....is it a meat church thing or did meat church bring it back to life somehow?
Going to need to watch something as I laterally have no idea how it is done.......looks like frustrating manual labor.

Not going to lie......after it was mentioned a few times I had to look up what a Moink was........it appears to be a lot less work with basically the same ingredients?

Yeah, they are but, when it come down to it, a moink isn’t much more than a meatball.
Not that much work. You make the meat mixture (like you would a moink), stuff a manicotti shell, wrap in bacon (like a moink) let it sit, then put that sucker on the grill or smoker.
Effort to stuff a manicotti shell, you’ve GOT to be kidding me!
Bob, I’ve seen some of the things you do, this is something an eight year old could do while watching TV!

I watched the M.C. video....never liked his videos.....personal decision.
They look alright, I might not try the shotgun shells.....there are so many other appy type things you can make.

But Tim, you are right that queso looks stellar.

Not going to lie......after it was mentioned a few times I had to look up what a Moink was........it appears to be a lot less work with basically the same ingredients?
Given the choice, I think Moinks are the better choice. However I hear that people load all kinds of things in the Shotgun Shells and make some really good one. I guess the secret is to preboil the shells so that they're super soft

I watched the M.C. video....never liked his videos.....personal decision.
They look alright, I might not try the shotgun shells.....there are so many other appy type things you can make.

But Tim, you are right that queso looks stellar.
There was dip leftover and I've been heating it up and eating it even though I've got nothing to dip in it. It's really good and I'm sure it's taking a few more weeks off my life

There was dip leftover and I've been heating it up and eating it even though I've got nothing to dip in it. It's really good and I'm sure it's taking a few more weeks off my life
HA!
Yeah.....I know the feeling.....I used my leftovers on everything.....toss it on tacos or whatever is the next meal!

Back