Quality Belgiam Waffle Iron?

Terry Murphy

TVWBB Fan
Can anyone lead me to a quality Belgiam Waffle Iron ? We've read so many reviews, on so many brands, we're not sure which one to go with. Any, and all help, like always would be appreciated. Thanks.

not sure of a brand but the ones that flip over seem to be the in thing. course as a kid i was thrilled with what mom made from just a cheapie. the recipe has a lot to do with what you get also. personally i would not buy one with a non stick surface.

Terry,there was a great "Good Eats" episode about that very subject. I'd try either FN.com or youtube. HTH

After using the ones in so many hotel breakfast areas, I've lusted after the Waring WW150 commercial model, but at $200+ it's too expensive for my taste. The Waring Pro WMK300 appears to be the home version. If it cooks anywhere near as well as the commercial ones it should be a great choice. If you don't mind a refurbished model, you can get one from Overstock.com for $44.99 plus $1 shipping.

we have a couple cheaper ones that we play with. So far the limiting factor has been the batter. Our recipe calls for yeast and whipping in egg whites and we still have problems getting it to fill the deep grooves. And forget about getting the outside crusty. Could be the iron, we just don't do it enough to know.

A classic iron is better for yeasted waffles than a Belgian. I'd suggest forgoing separating the eggs and, if you're not already, making the batter (and fridging it) at least 12 hours in advance.

A classic iron is better for yeasted waffles than a Belgian. I'd suggest forgoing separating the eggs and, if you're not already, making the batter (and fridging it) at least 12 hours in advance.

thanks Kevin. You're the best
icon_biggrin.gif

We got a Waring (not sure of the model, but it looks similar to what Jim linked above). We got it at Kohls of all places and it was discounted down to like $35 - $40.

I have the waring pro too, it works well, you should like it. Just be sure to use some pam spray every few waffles or they'll stick.

I bought a few mixes but I actually prefer krusteaz pancake mix, usually just mixed up for pancakes, not waffles (no egg, no oil, just water).

As info, there is a product called "Batter Blaster" that is very good. It is a prepared mix that allows you to only make one waffle so you do not have to mix up a whole batch of stuff. You can also make pancakes with it.

It comes in a spray can (similar to whipped cream in a can) and it keeps in the refrig for quite a while (expiration date is on can).
Try it,

Ray

Back