Q2000 Propane Regulator

DennisP

Hello. My Weber Q2000 Manual says that the built in regulator is set for 11" WCP. Does this mean that the inlet pressure to the regulator needs to be 11" WCP or that the outlet pressure from the regulator is 11" WCP? If so (outlet is 11" WCP), what are the requirements for the inlet pressure?
I am asking b/c I would like to set up an "emergency" hook up from my house propane supply ( 2 - 100 gallon tanks) for extended power outages. The supply from my tanks is unregulated at the point where I intend to hook in the weber, so I'm wondering if the built in regulator on the Weber is adequate?
Thank you.

WCP stands for water column pressure. It means that the outlet pressure of the regulator is the same as the pressure under 11 inches of water, plus atmospheric pressure. It’s roughly 2.7% of standard atmospheric pressure at sea level.

I always thought the tank pressure could vary, hence the need for a regulator.

No, it's under very high pressure to keep it as a liquid. (which is why it's called LP (liquified petroleum) gas. Believe it or not you can use it in place of R12 in an old car. I don't recommend it (at least well especially) if you smoke LOL :D

I know it is under high pressure, but is it always a constant pressure. I thought even small tanks lost some pressure as they neared empty.

Actually I saw a hose on Amazon that comes with connectors and a gauge made for filling the small tanks that the Q2000 uses, and wondered if this might be a better option for long term power outages? I could just fill up my small tanks from the 100 gallon tank when/if needed and wouldn't have to mess around with any plumbing before hand.

Yes the pressure internally does vary depending on ambient temps, amount in the tank and rate of draw down. but, no matter. You cannot (well at least sane folks) use it direct from the tank.

Actually I saw a hose on Amazon that comes with connectors and a gauge made for filling the small tanks that the Q2000 uses, and wondered if this might be a better option for long term power outages? I could just fill up my small tanks from the 100 gallon tank when/if needed and wouldn't have to mess around with any plumbing before hand.
You can do that. I refill the 1lb cylinders off of a 20lb tank. But I do think that you need to turn the tank upside down to fill the 1lb canisters. I don't know if it would work with a bulk tank like your setup.

Larry might have some insight on that.

Larry, refilling 1lb canisters is MUCH less expensive than buying them. Probably 1/4 the price or less.

Yah, I haven't filled one in a couple years. I just don't have the need. Especially since I converted my Q200 over to a 20lb tank.

The pressure inside a propane bottle is going to be whatever the vapor pressure of propane is at whatever temperature the bottle is at. I don’t have a table of the thermodynamic properties of propane handy, but it’s going to be substantially higher than atmospheric pressure down to some very cold temperatures. If you’ve ever used a weed torch, you know that you get frost on the outside of the propane bottle well before you start noticing the pressure drop.

I converted my weed burning torch to 1lb. cylinders several years ago for true portability. It will shoot a flame 10ft at full trigger, I use it to start campfires, it's a true flame thrower now. I fill my own 1lb cylinders also just for this. You need to put them in the freezer for 1 to 2 hours before filling and then they fill up very easily. The whole torch will frost up after about 5 minutes and drain a bottle in 10 minutes. I absolutely love the thing, and light everyone's campfires that I can!!

Last edited:
Another option for a power outage:

Invest in a bunch of 1lb. tanks and be done with it. Those things last relatively forever (10 years would be my rule of thumb - stored in a shed), require no skill or plumbing, and are totally portable to where you need that grill to go. Keeps the main tanks full to be main tanks.

No, it's under very high pressure to keep it as a liquid. (which is why it's called LP (liquified petroleum) gas. Believe it or not you can use it in place of R12 in an old car. I don't recommend it (at least well especially) if you smoke LOL :D
I drive a '94 Tempo that needs a shot of R12 that of course is illegal/unavailable to regular people. Like you say, putting propane in a car is probably a bad idea. At least it doesn't kill the world - just you!

Back