Q1000 Side Tables

Rusty, I’ve seen several on here that refill the smaller bottles, with good results. But I would recommend getting the adapter so you can hook your Q up to the 20 lb tank. I realize the 20 lb tank is a lot larger and not nearly as portable as the smaller bottles, but if you use your Q with any frequency at all, you’ll soon find yourself changing and refilling the smaller bottles quite often.
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0012XXD4Y/tvwb-20
Good luck,
Tim

So if I get the hose, that allows me to connect the Q to a larger tank, but if I get the adapter too, will that enable me to connect a 1lb bottle to the Genesis? My reasoning for this is so I can use a 1lb bottle of propane in case my 20lb tank dies on me before the meal finishes cooking. I only have one 20lb tank at the moment.

Why would you want to buy an adapter to fit a 1lb? The grill comes made for 1lb tanks. If you want to use them simply screw one right into the grill. If you want to use larger tanks 5lb and up use the hose

So if I get the hose, that allows me to connect the Q to a larger tank, but if I get the adapter too, will that enable me to connect a 1lb bottle to the Genesis? My reasoning for this is so I can use a 1lb bottle of propane in case my 20lb tank dies on me before the meal finishes cooking. I only have one 20lb tank at the moment.

Rusty. All you need is the hose to use the Q1xxx or Q2xxx with a 20lb or 5lb bulk tank. One end goes to the tank and the other end screws onto the connection where the small disposable tank would go. You don't need any other adapters. If you want to use a small 1lb tank, it just screws into the regular connection.

The adapter that Tim K links to is for "refilling" those 1lb disposable tanks off of a 20lb tank. It is not to convert the grill itself to use a different source of propane.

Also, if you buy the hose to use the bulk tanks, keep in mind that you can get them much cheaper than $25.

Why would you want to buy an adapter to fit a 1lb? The grill comes made for 1lb tanks. If you want to use them simply screw one right into the grill. If you want to use larger tanks 5lb and up use the hose

I was hoping the adapter could be used to connect a 1lb bottle to the Genesis grill in case the 20lb tank runs out if gas during a cook.

Also, if you buy the hose to use the bulk tanks, keep in mind that you can get them much cheaper than $25.

I saw some bare rubber aftermarket (Chinese) hoses at Amazon for not much money, but some buyers complained of leakage, and a few hoses ruptured.

Are you referring to a USA-made hose for less than $25?

Last edited:
You can probably buy one at Walmart for about $15, but to tell you the truth, those and just about all the hoses you will find are produced in China. I would not rule out the WEBER hose being made there as well.

But, the Q1xxx and Q2xxx grill normally takes a 1lb cylinder. You don't need an adapter for that unless you have a Q3xxx grill. The hose just allows you to use a bulk tank on the Q1xxx and Q2xxx.

There is probably a little variance in pressures between 1lb and 20lb tanks, but that is what the regulator is for. It "Regulates" pressure to the grill.

Found this online...

Can you convert a large gas grill to use the 1lb propane tanks?

Quote from the web page...

Here's a quick "Propane 101" to explain why.

Inside a propane cylinder you have static liquid with vapour above it. When you light the appliance you are drawing off vapour and burning that. This reduces the pressure in the cylinder and the liquid begins to boil to replace the vapour. Propane boils at -44°F so when it boils it is giving off a lot of heat. A little 1 pound container does not have enough mass to absorb heat out of the air around it to keep the cylinder from freezing up. Propane containers are sized to the btu's of the appliance(s) because of this very reason. You might be able to run a large grill on a 1lb cylinder for a few minutes, but the cylinder will turn to a ball of ice very quickly, and long before you use up the whole cylinder. The colder the outside temperature the worse the problem.

A large grill can freeze up a 20lb cylinder, never mind a 1lb...

Those adapters will make the connection, but the grill performance will be poor.
Source(s): 20 years experience in the propane business and a licenced gas fitter...​

Still makes one wonder if one can run one or two burners via a 1lb tank - for a while anyway. Maybe just long enough to finish cooking a meal.

Seems to me, you’ve answered your own question. But if you want to try the 1lb tank as a back up, drop the $10 for the adapter and see if your idea works. Myself, I would spend the $25 for the Weber adapter hose (so you can use 20lb tanks with you Q) and another $25 (Craigslist,Letgo,Offerup have them listed all the time at that price) and get a 2nd 20lb tank. That way you know your grill will alway be at optimum performance. You may spend an extra $35-$40 up front, but you’ll always have the peace of mind knowing you’re not going to run out of propane.
Good luck whichever way you choose,
Tim

I still wonder why anyone would want to rube Goldberg putting a one pound cylinder on the Q1xxx?! If you have an adapter hose on it running a full size tank and the tank runs out take the d&*n hose off, screw in a 1# bottle and continue grilling. What is the issue/mystery here? Why throw more hardware on it?!
As for the question of can you run a 1# bottle on a full sized grill? Well the answer is complicated as in "it depends". Depends on how many BTU you plan to pull from that little bottle at once. Here is what happens..............when you use LP flow depends on there being enough LP in the tank to maintain flow AND temperature of the LP inside the tank. If you try to pull more BTU per hour than the tank can handle it will "freeze" internally and flow will either completely stop or be severely restricted. In which case you have to stop flow allow the LP in the tank to turn back to liquid and try again. This is not just theory I have seen it happen when trying to run high flow heaters with a 20# tank. The heater will run really hot and than you see ice begin forming on the outside of the tank and pretty soon the flow begins to ebb and finally the heater shuts down. My guess is on a 1# bottle at about 15k BTU all bets are off

I still wonder why anyone would want to rube Goldberg putting a one pound cylinder on the Q1xxx?! If you have an adapter hose on it running a full size tank and the tank runs out take the d&*n hose off, screw in a 1# bottle and continue grilling. What is the issue/mystery here? Why throw more hardware on it?!

That wasn't my intention, and I should have explained things in better detail. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
Seems to me, you’ve answered your own question. But if you want to try the 1lb tank as a back up, drop the $10 for the adapter and see if your idea works. Myself, I would spend the $25 for the Weber adapter hose (so you can use 20lb tanks with you Q) and another $25 (Craigslist,Letgo,Offerup have them listed all the time at that price) and get a 2nd 20lb tank. That way you know your grill will alway be at optimum performance. You may spend an extra $35-$40 up front, but you’ll always have the peace of mind knowing you’re not going to run out of propane.
Good luck whichever way you choose,
Tim

In light of the article I posted, including recent input from Larry & Bruce, maybe I would be better off just buying a new 20lb tank. In this area, trying to find a decent, used, 20lb tank at a fair price, without driving a long ways, has proven difficult. Most disappear rather quickly before I can respond.

Tractor Supply has new Manchester tanks for just $32. I think I go that route, plus get the right hose for connecting a 20lb tank to a Q grill, and maybe get a refill adapter as well.

Rusty, just keep your eyes open, I see them for $10 to $15 quite often. I suppose a different area could make a difference, but my guess is there are plenty of unused 20lb tanks sitting around in garages all over near you. Maybe just put a "Want Ad" on craigslist or Facebook Marketplace.

Rusty, just keep your eyes open, I see them for $10 to $15 quite often. I suppose a different area could make a difference, but my guess is there are plenty of unused 20lb tanks sitting around in garages all over near you. Maybe just put a "Want Ad" on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace.

I've been looking for a long time, but things didn't work out, so I purchased a new Manchester tank yesterday and filled it up at the same location (Tractor Supply). Tractor Supply sells propane by the gallon, and I only paid 2.49 per gallon for 4.6 gallons.

I guess it's just as well I did purchase a new tank because my old tank, even though it still looks new, was made in 2001. It does not leak, but I guess it needs recertification if I plan to keep it. The employee who filled my tank turned down someone else's refill after finding out their tank was made in 1986. The customer got upset about it nonetheless.

I wouldn't want this to happen, lol...

propane-car-explosion-1.jpg

Are you still looking for side tables?
I have a pair from my Q220 that i don't use.

Do they fit the Q1000?

I can't (buy them) at the moment after spending 700.00 at the dentist office (failed root canal, infection, extraction), etc., but I may later on. What does it cost to ship from California to the east coast? 15.00?

Last edited:

Back