Q 320 Grates

Too bad. I hope someone comes up with a working design for a decent price for the Q3xx.

Too bad. I hope someone comes up with a working design for a decent price for the Q3xx.
Yeah, I agree. After thinking about it...getting the heat from the cast iron might not be necessary. The grills put out some heat. So maybe the SS rods would allow you to get a lower temperature when you want to go that route.
Might give it another try, but not with that vendor.

With the Qs, you basically have Hot and Blazing Hot for your temperature options. The cast iron grate I think helps with that heat production.

They make SS grates, I actually bought some but returned them because I got a faulty set. The SS might not get as hot as the cast iron.

Well that's a bit disappointing, I was hoping it had more range or possibly a regulator problem or something. I've already spent $50 on the cast iron so I'll see if I can't overcome some of the excessive heat production. Thanks for the input, Kyle!

There really is nothing you can do. It's a combination of low hood height, and small space per BTU. They are what they are. They're not meant for much more than simple "grilling". Dogs, burgers, what have you. Without jumping through all kind of hoops you're not going to do the type of cooking someone with a Genesis or larger grill can do.
The cast iron is NOT responsible for the high heat. If anything it's what tames and evens out the heat. These grills need that large heavy mass to cook properly. That's why regular grates are useless in them. So you need something more like these types to truly get somewhat close to mimicking the OEM grate and it's performance
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08155WJJ1/?tag=tvwb-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FXF7MYB/?tag=tvwb-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074S5484G/?tag=tvwb-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GJD5XY4/?tag=tvwb-20

Last edited:
Yah, but I don't think you want to prop open the lid very much. Maybe 1/2" or so in the front.

Good call, Bruce

Some testing showed that a 2.5 in gap would let out too much heat to maintain at low temps. So I used some old herb potters and that got me a 3/4 in gap and (ostensibly) a surface temp of 475 degrees at one quarter flow on the knob. Measuring with a cheap Cuisinart surface thermometer. Will test again with an infrared later.

20200804_195928.jpg

There really is nothing you can do. It's a combination of low hood height, and small space per BTU. They are what they are. They're not meant for much more than simple "grilling". Dogs, burgers, what have you. Without jumping through all kind of hoops you're not going to do the type of cooking someone with a Genesis or larger grill can do.
The cast iron is NOT responsible for the high heat. If anything it's what tames and evens out the heat. These grills need that large heavy mass to cook properly. That's why regular grates are useless in them. So you need something more like these types to truly get somewhat close to mimicking the OEM grate and it's performance
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08155WJJ1/?tag=tvwb-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FXF7MYB/?tag=tvwb-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074S5484G/?tag=tvwb-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GJD5XY4/?tag=tvwb-20

Thanks for the input, LM
Makes me feel better about the cast iron grates I bought and confirms my suspicion about the poor heat management. Looks like I'll have to jump through a few hoops for now to get some temperature control. Next go around I'll invest in a more sophisticated grill to be sure.

Thanks agian!

Don't dismiss those grills too fast. They are fine for everyday grilling. I suggest you take the "I just need another grill" approach and get yourself a 3 burner Genesis. Versatility is the name of the game as long as they are the older E/W sidewinder types.

But, just for clarification, are we talking about Weber Q3xx grill above as the thread title indicates or just a Q2xx or Q1xx grill? If it is a Q3xx grill we are talking about and you only put on the smaller middle burner, you should be able to run that at a fairly low temp.

Don't dismiss those grills too fast. They are fine for everyday grilling. I suggest you take the "I just need another grill" approach and get yourself a 3 burner Genesis. Versatility is the name of the game as long as they are the older E/W sidewinder types.

But, just for clarification, are we talking about Weber Q3xx grill above as the thread title indicates or just a Q2xx or Q1xx grill? If it is a Q3xx grill we are talking about and you only put on the smaller middle burner, you should be able to run that at a fairly low temp.

Bruce, I jumped on this thread since some folks were talking about the QuliMetal grates for the Q series. Mine is actually a 2008 model Q200 where the grate enamel had chipped and started rusting. Didn't want to invest the $80 on a grate so I opt for the off brand and was getting some seasoning suggestions on account of no enamel.

I'll definitely get some use out of this grill, just disappointed that it's not a well balanced one. I'll do some research on the Genesis grills. Are you suggesting I try to find an older model not in production anymore?

Bruce, I jumped on this thread since some folks were talking about the QuliMetal grates for the Q series. Mine is actually a 2008 model Q200 where the grate enamel had chipped and started rusting. Didn't want to invest the $80 on a grate so I opt for the off brand and was getting some seasoning suggestions on account of no enamel.

I'll definitely get some use out of this grill, just disappointed that it's not a well balanced one. I'll do some research on the Genesis grills. Are you suggesting I try to find an older model not in production anymore?
Yes, I am. But, I am biased. I rehab the older ones.
I will try to explain why I think an older rehabbed grill is just as good or even better than a brand new Genesis II.
First, you can find one and rehab it to like new condition with some hard work, a few tools and supplies and some new SS solid rod grates, SS flavorizer bars and new burners for about $150 and some elbow grease.
Second, the older grills, especially the open cart ones are much less prone to becoming a rust bucket than the newer ones. If they already lasted 15 plus years, a good rehab should net them another 15 plus.
Third, the older grills have the E/W burners which are a virtual necessity if you want to do rotisserie cooking which I think that everyone who owns a gas grill should try and learn how to do.
Fourth, if you get one of the older Genesis 1000-5000 grills, you will have the deeper fire box and double rows of flavorizer bars which is much better for indirect cooking. With the deeper cook box, you can pull the top row of flavorizer bars out which gives you much more room for your rotisserie as well.
Also, they are much simpler grills. You wont have to replace batteries in the igniter. You wont have to replace the $40 igniter every three years. Plus you will have a Made in the USA piece of history.
Finally, you save enough money to buy a half a cow for the freezer.

Aside from the warranty on a new grill, I don't see a benefit to the newer ones. And some would question the worth of the warranty anyway.

Thanks for the input, LM
Makes me feel better about the cast iron grates I bought and confirms my suspicion about the poor heat management. Looks like I'll have to jump through a few hoops for now to get some temperature control. Next go around I'll invest in a more sophisticated grill to be sure.

Thanks agian!
Actually they don't have poor heat management. The heat management is actually VERY VERY good on all of them. Using the proper cast iron grates you will not find any spot cooler or hotter than the next. No need to shuffle food around, etc. They just cannot get down low and slow like a larger grill can and really that is due to safety issues and the actual intent of these grills. Nothing "poor" or badly made/controlled about them. Bottom line using the tool for what it's intended to do. IOW, yeah you could drive nails with a sledge hammer but the job won't be easy or get done efficiently. Conversely you could try to do demolition with a claw hammer but here again it will not go well. Doesn't make either tool "bad" or poorly made (unless you're not using the excellent hammers that come right out of the factory here in Rockford IL) but I digress. Right tool for the job

If you would rather buy an older grill that has been rehabbed already, there is a guy on this site in your area that sells those; Dave in KC. I'm sure if you sent him a message he could get you just about any color that you'd like and the grill would look and perform top notch.

Yes, I am. But, I am biased. I rehab the older ones.
I will try to explain why I think an older rehabbed grill is just as good or even better than a brand new Genesis II.
First, you can find one and rehab it to like new condition with some hard work, a few tools and supplies and some new SS solid rod grates, SS flavorizer bars and new burners for about $150 and some elbow grease.
Second, the older grills, especially the open cart ones are much less prone to becoming a rust bucket than the newer ones. If they already lasted 15 plus years, a good rehab should net them another 15 plus.
Third, the older grills have the E/W burners which are a virtual necessity if you want to do rotisserie cooking which I think that everyone who owns a gas grill should try and learn how to do.
Fourth, if you get one of the older Genesis 1000-5000 grills, you will have the deeper fire box and double rows of flavorizer bars which is much better for indirect cooking. With the deeper cook box, you can pull the top row of flavorizer bars out which gives you much more room for your rotisserie as well.
Also, they are much simpler grills. You wont have to replace batteries in the igniter. You wont have to replace the $40 igniter every three years. Plus you will have a Made in the USA piece of history.
Finally, you save enough money to buy a half a cow for the freezer.

Aside from the warranty on a new grill, I don't see a benefit to the newer ones. And some would question the worth of the warranty anyway.

You make a good argument for the discontinued models, Bruce.
Something to consider for the future. Kyle's suggesting of getting in touch with Dave in KC actually doesn't sound too bad.

If you would rather buy an older grill that has been rehabbed already, there is a guy on this site in your area that sells those; Dave in KC. I'm sure if you sent him a message he could get you just about any color that you'd like and the grill would look and perform top notch.

Thanks for the suggestion, sir!
I may get in touch with him when I'm ready for my upgrade. At the moment I'm pressed for space on a little apartment balcony, hoping they don't notice the grill as is :D :D

Actually they don't have poor heat management. The heat management is actually VERY VERY good on all of them. Using the proper cast iron grates you will not find any spot cooler or hotter than the next. No need to shuffle food around, etc. They just cannot get down low and slow like a larger grill can and really that is due to safety issues and the actual intent of these grills. Nothing "poor" or badly made/controlled about them. Bottom line using the tool for what it's intended to do. IOW, yeah you could drive nails with a sledge hammer but the job won't be easy or get done efficiently. Conversely you could try to do demolition with a claw hammer but here again it will not go well. Doesn't make either tool "bad" or poorly made (unless you're not using the excellent hammers that come right out of the factory here in Rockford IL) but I digress. Right tool for the job

I hear what you're saying, LM

When I bought this grill 12 years ago it was probably doing just what I needed it to do. These days I'm really wanting to get some exceptional results from my cooking. I'll bet with the suggestions from you folks I'll be able to get some better output if not quite best. Looking at BRUCE and Kyle's recommendations though for my next grill. Thanks again for all the input, sir!

Back