Q 2000 Propane Hose Adapter suggestions

Rick P

TVWBB Pro
I just celebrated my 35 anniversary at work and they have catalog of gifts for employees that have reached that milestone.

I picked out a Q 2000 with a cart. This will be Weber # 8, for those keeping count 😉 :ROFLMAO:

I've always, kinda/sorta, wanted one, but not badly enough to pay full price, or look very hard on FB Marketplace. Since this one is free, and includes the cart, I 'm finally getting one.

I'm retiring the Go Anywhere, and this one will be the replacement. It will get light use, as it's going to be strictly for tailgating.

I'm getting an adapter hose, so I can use a 20lb propane tank. I found the Weber Adapter Hose 6501 on Amazon, and some of the reviews were head-scratchers. Not enough to scare me from buying one but, if there are any aftermarket hoses that are higher quality, I'd just assume get one.

Any, and all, tips and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

what kind of cart are you getting with the Q2000? Is it the all plastic one or the fold up steel tube plastic one?

The problem with using the adapter hose is that when you open the bulk tank, it has to fill that entire hose before it gets throttled down at the regulator on the grill. That sudden rush of gas out of the tanks sometimes tells the OPD device that there has been a breach in the system and it shuts down flow to a trickle. The way to combat this is to open the tank "VERRRRRRYYYYYY" slowly at first. But sometimes it still happens. Most of the time, you can reset the tank OPD by turning the tank off, turning the grill off, unhooking the hose from the tank, waiting about 60 seconds, then rehook the hose to the tank, open the tank very slowly and then open the grill valve and try to relight it. Another option if you always plan to use a bulk tank is to delete the grill regulator and use a standard grill hose and regulator. However, then you won't be able to use a 1lb disposable bottle later on.

what kind of cart are you getting with the Q2000? Is it the all plastic one or the fold up steel tube plastic one?

The problem with using the adapter hose is that when you open the bulk tank, it has to fill that entire hose before it gets throttled down at the regulator on the grill. That sudden rush of gas out of the tanks sometimes tells the OPD device that there has been a breach in the system and it shuts down flow to a trickle. The way to combat this is to open the tank "VERRRRRRYYYYYY" slowly at first. But sometimes it still happens. Most of the time, you can reset the tank OPD by turning the tank off, turning the grill off, unhooking the hose from the tank, waiting about 60 seconds, then rehook the hose to the tank, open the tank very slowly and then open the grill valve and try to relight it. Another option if you always plan to use a bulk tank is to delete the grill regulator and use a standard grill hose and regulator. However, then you won't be able to use a 1lb disposable bottle later on.
Thanks Bruce.

The description is "Rolling Cart" so I'm guessing that it's the plastic one. Is there something that I should be aware of, with the plastic one?

I read something similar, when reading reviews on the Weber 6051 hose.

I want to keep the option of using the disposable bottle, so I'll go the "VERRRRRRYYYYYY" slowly route. I'm probably overthinking this, but I do want the best hose, regardless of the brand.

The rolling cart, or plastic one, is more designed for grills to be used in one area. Yes, they have wheels and move around, but they don't fold up and save space in a vehicle like a folding cart would.

AE6411D2-C68E-4332-B32F-1049A58B33CB.jpegThis is the all plastic one made for your patio/deck and it is non collapsing.

2672F27C-89FA-4F88-9D8A-72D866E1F779.jpeg
This is the portable stand that folds for transport. It is kind of wobbly but will get the job done if you are careful.

Thanks Bruce.

The description is "Rolling Cart" so I'm guessing that it's the plastic one. Is there something that I should be aware of, with the plastic one?

I read something similar, when reading reviews on the Weber 6051 hose.

I want to keep the option of using the disposable bottle, so I'll go the "VERRRRRRYYYYYY" slowly route. I'm probably overthinking this, but I do want the best hose, regardless of the brand.
BFD7942A-74B6-4CE3-9E2E-9B8B8B5E325E.jpeg
595F44E6-4F1B-410C-A0DE-24CED4C513BA.jpeg
Rick, here is the $30 Weber one after a few years. It still works but it is stiff and lost its flexibility. Very disappointed! I am not sure the $10 Amazon ones are any better but you could at least buy a new one two more times when it gets stiff for the same money.

I beleive it is sun that gets those hoses. If you can keep them out of direct sunlight, they last much longer usually. Yah, those are sold by reputable aftermarket outfits for half that price.

I beleive it is sun that gets those hoses. If you can keep them out of direct sunlight, they last much longer usually. Yah, those are sold by reputable aftermarket outfits for half that price.
Bruce, that one was stored in the storage compartment of my RV out of the sun along with another conversion hose and an eight foot extension hose. It is the only one that stiffened up like that. The others are like new as none of them get used much. The 220 on my deck got converted permanently with the regulator hose like you posted a few years ago.

Yah, I have a regular hose and regulator on my Q200 on the back deck and it get a lot of sun through out the day. Several years and the hose on there is doing fine. I have pulled hoses of rehab grills that I thought would break in two if I tried to straighten the out they were soooo stiff.

Rick, here is the $30 Weber one after a few years. It still works but it is stiff and lost its flexibility. Very disappointed! I am not sure the $10 Amazon ones are any better but you could at least buy a new one two more times when it gets stiff for the same money.
Thanks Richard, and everyone else!

After reading numerous reviews, (and a suffering from severe case of information overload), I ordered one from Amazon with 4' SS braided hose. It's got good reviews and is only $16.49. Hopefully, the Q will be here by tomorrow and I can break that bad-boy in!

Thanks, again!

Attachments

• hose.jpg
    hose.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 3
I am not sure that one will weather any better, but the SS Mesh is nice. It is designed to prevent animals from chewing on the hose and to prevent chafing where it rubs on something.

I am not sure that one will weather any better, but the SS Mesh is nice. It is designed to prevent animals from chewing on the hose and to prevent chafing where it rubs on something.
It'll be stored in the shed, along with the grill, and used a handful of times a year. I anticipate it lasting a very long time.

Thanks!
Here's the one pictured from the award site, so it's the portable cart...which is the one I want.

Rick, while I love my Q grill that portable cart is a not a great platform for a grill. It is not sturdy and wobbles when you clean the grates.

Here's a thread about the carts:

Rick, while I love my Q grill that portable cart is a not a great platform for a grill. It is not sturdy and wobbles when you clean the grates.

Understood...but I need a collapsible cart and it will only be used 8-10 times a year. That, and it's free, so I'll deal with it.

I appreciate the info

Grill arrived yesterday.
I have a table that I've been using the GGA on and the Q fits perfectly.
I'm not even taking the cart out of the box.
I'm going to sell it on FB Marketplace.
Thanks, again!

Back