putting out WSM charcoals

DavidSF

TVWBB Member
Hi,
What's the safest way to extinguish wood charcoal after using the WSM? I was thinking about just pouring water over the charcoal until they're completely wet. Is it bad to do this? Then put the wet charcoal in a bag to put in the garbage. I live in the hills with a lot of foliage so I'm very concerned about starting a fire. Any tips appreciated.

Thanks,
David

Close all the vents, and the fire should go out by itself in about 90 minutes. Partially burned charcoal has its uses, like fuel for a quick grilling session, or starting off Minion Method cooks.

(Water + hot charcoal = steam = potential burns)

I use a small metal trash can with a lid. I put a screen (wide enought for ash to go thru) about 1/4 of the way in the can that collects the coals that I can use another time. I just dump the kettles or WSM bowl in when I am done cooking if I need a fast cool down or cleanup.

I have very heavy duty welding type gloves for this though, so please be sure you have the right equipment, or let the coals cool as described above.

Also, put the can up on blocks or bricks so if any hot coals hit the bottom of the can, you don't burn the grass. (yes i have done that).

Related question:

Yesterday was not my best day ever as I nearly lost a set of baby-backs on the WSM when my temps dropped while I was away. Then, I got the temps up and conveniently left the vents open.

Five hours later, my WSM is dutifully holding a nice high temperature no doubt waiting to cook something else. Bad part is that the water pan is long dried up and the drippings from the ribs are thouroughly baked on.

I scrubbed the pan clean, but my question is: could I have cleaned the pan by putting it in the gas grill and ashing it? Anyone tried that? Would it hurt the water pan? Might have made cleanup a little easier if I'd thought of it sooner.

I wouldn't worry about it.

I just dump the foil and rinse the pan after use. I don't bother getting trying to get all of the gunk out, just the clumpy caked on stuff.

I foil the pan when I run it dry.

Is it normal to foil the pan while it has water? Now that I think about it, there's no reason it would be a bad thing. It's just usually pretty easy to clean when there's water in there.

Thanks.

Back