pulling pork shoulder

Scott Hoofman

TVWBB Super Fan
When pulling a pork shoulder what does everyone do with the meat next to the bone? It gets this greenish discoloration from either a membrane or the bone itself. It looks unappetizing, but conversely seems to be some of the tenderest meat. I've been trying to scrape off as much as greenish stuff as possible, but that is a big time hassle, and I wonder if it is worth it? Or, is it more of a question of it's all "in the eye of the beholder".

Scott, my bone pulls clean except where the bark is (I cook to 195-200), no scraping and I've never seen any green meat, just grey, which I just mix in with the rest.

Wow, maybe Kevin or one of the other chefs can answer, but 'green' doesn't belong as an adjective for 'meat' ... unless this is Dr. Suess.

I cannot find anyone who carries bone-in, so I'm forced to cook boneless.

I'm going to monitor this thread ... I want to see what folks think about green pork.

I think he's talking about the gray meat that rests up against the bone. Not sure if i ever saw green meat there but it can be a funky looking grayish brownish looking meat.
icon_eek.gif

I, too, get a grey-ish meat next to the bone, and just mix it in.

Possibly a weird inject is causing the meat to turn green.

Let's see...Blue + red = purple...Blue + yellow = green.

I guess the question is: x + grey = green.

Gee, never thought I'd need algebra to cook some barbecue!
icon_wink.gif

Not sure if i ever saw green meat there but it can be a funky looking grayish brownish looking meat.
In reality, it may have been more grey then green. Whatever it is, it is not the most appetizing looking. I usually just try to mix it in well. Just wondering what everyone else did with it, or even noticed it at all.

Originally posted by Scott Hoofman:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Not sure if i ever saw green meat there but it can be a funky looking grayish brownish looking meat.
In reality, it may have been more grey then green. Whatever it is, it is not the most appetizing looking. I usually just try to mix it in well. Just wondering what everyone else did with it, or even noticed it at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah i hear yah. I usually take my knife and scrape it off. It's just a thin layer of greyish meat. My guess is that it gets discolored from the bone. Blood? duno. It's all good though.
icon_smile.gif

Scott:

Today I am smokin' my very first pork butt. I have a beautiful 6 pounder that I prepped with a mustard slather and a slightly sweet rub. I put it in at 8am (EST) and just now rotated, mopped (homemade) and turned it.

The smoker is at a steady 245-250 degrees and I am using some Hickory and Adler wood chunks. I also used the MM to start the grill and just added some more water in the pan and added about 10 or so briquettes about an hour ago.

This is a bone-in pork butt so I am guessing it'll take a total of 11-12 hours to properly cook - is this about right?

Hope everyone is having a great smokin' weekend!

Oh yeah, one more thing...

can somone gi eme alink on here to how to prepare the pulled pork after removal from the smoker?

Yeah, I scrape off what I don't want to eat then mix the rest in. I'm my wife's dog's best friend.
icon_smile.gif

I'm relieved to hear you thought it was more grey than green Scott ... I have noticed a VERY slight greenish/blueish hue in the area you are speaking of on occassion as well, but if I had to pick a predominent color I would say grey.

Another thing that can cause discoloration is applying rub within the folds. I rubbed the inside of a boneless butt once and I won't be doing that again.

Hey Ben

I can only tell you that i just grab it with some gloves and shred it with my hands .then i sprinkle a little more rub in{like your salting it} then I put some to the side with out sauce and the rest I mix with my sauce .Kinda like a not so sloppy joe.Then i put it on a hoagie roll, coleslaw is optional.
As far as the time is concerned 9-12hrs would be on par.Don't forget to wrap in some alluminum foil and let it rest for an hour before you pull it.It willprobably be the best bbq you ever had.

Enjoy
Jeff

Jeff:

I smoked my first pork butt on Sunday and it came out GREAT! Here are the sepcs

6 pound butt, bone-in
Mustard slather and homemade sweet rub prior to placing in smoker
MM to start smoker
Hickory and Adler wood chunks
Temp averaged 250 degrees
Smoked for a total of 11 hours witht he last hour's temp dropping to between 225-250 degrees
Added wood, charcoal and water at various times throughout the process, mainly at the 1/2 way and 2/3's mark
Took off and let rest for about 20+ minutes
De-boned and pulled pork, actually it literally fell off the bone.
Ate while shredding with forks
Added vinegar based mop sauce and vacuum sealed
Yieled about 4 pounds +/-

Without a doubt, and my family attested to this, it was THE BEST pork they have ever tasted.

I hope this helps.

Scott

I don't know why you had to scrape meat off the bone. If smoked to 195* the bone should come out like taking a key out of a door lock. Smooth and clean.

Sorry about being so late with replying - cable has been out for the last 48 due to bad weather.

Tony, the "scraping" wasn't due to the meat being tough, it was just that greyish color that the meat develops close to the bone that i was scraping off. I think Bryan is right, its probably from the blood (and or marrow) from the bone. Since everybody else seems to just be mixing it in, thats what I'm going to continue to do.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Sometimes, I hate being a newbie.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back