pulled turkey question

Joe Garrett

TVWBB Member
So I bought a natural petite turkey from Whole Foods, brined it 8 hours in basic brine, now it is sitting in fridge air-drying. I want to cook it tonight and can not decide if I should go low(er) and slow(er) or high and fast(er). 235 degrees versus 350 degrees. I want to serve some pulled turkey for sandwiches on Saturday, but have never done a turkey before and do not know which method will be better for pulling. Thanks for any help.

I'm not an expert, but poultry meat is almost always tender, so would probably go high heat on turkey myself. I have only cooked a turkey in the kettle, so have not done one in the WSM.

Poultry comes out good on high heat.

I have been doing wings at 260 but they will take longer than I like, so have been thinking of kicking it up a notch...

I cook mine at 350 and chop it...never tried pulling it straight out of the smoker.

I have had shredded turkey/chicken, but that was after I simmered it in some salsa & water while making some tacos.

You can go either way. Since skin is a non-issue, rest the turkey breast side down for 20-30 min after you remove it from the cooker.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
You can go either way. Since skin is a non-issue, rest the turkey breast side down for 20-30 min after you remove it from the cooker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree.

Joe here is a Pulled Turkey I did a while back. I chose an enhanced turkey for this one, but a self brined bird like you're planning will turn out even better.

Back