Pulled Pork

Those are some mouth watering pic Dustin! And that German potato salad, oh my! I love it, my father use to make it often. Unfortunately he took the recipe with him when he passed. My wife didn't like it, so I never tried to make it. So now my wife has left, I can eat what I want. Care to share the recipe!

That plated picture is what it's all about. Hope to hear more about that German Potato Salad, it looks like the perfect match up

Those are some mouth watering pic Dustin! And that German potato salad, oh my! I love it, my father use to make it often. Unfortunately he took the recipe with him when he passed. My wife didn't like it, so I never tried to make it. So now my wife has left, I can eat what I want. Care to share the recipe!

My wife actually made the German Potato Salad. We got the recipe from a book called "Legends of Texas Barbecue Cook Book" by Robb Walsh. I can't recommend this book enough. I bought it because it has a recipe for East Texas style beef links (also known as grease bombs). It also has some great history about Texas Barbecue and the various styles in different regions with examples. I don't want to cut and past from the book but I can paraphrase it I guess.

2 1/2 pounds baby red potatoes
15 thin slices of bacon
1 cup diced red onion
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Boil potatoes until tender.
Fry the bacon. Set bacon aside on paper towels and pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat. Saute the onions in the bacon fat until soft.
in a bowl whisk the brown sugar and vinegar until sugar dissolves. Slowly whisk in the olive oil to make the dressing. Season with salt and pepper. Add the onion and 1 cup of the bacon.

Drain the potatoes and add to the dressing. Toss to coat. Garnish with the remaining bacon and serve warm.

Anyway, that's the gist of it. I paraphrased it quite a bit. It definitely pairs well with any bbq dish and I prefer it to mayo based potato salads.

Back