Pulled Pork - Your Technique?

D Jennings

TVWBB Fan
I've been making pulled pork for quite a number of years. Recently on the Food Network they had a special on Carolina BBQ joints that specialize in pulled pork. After the pork was pulled/chopped and put in a big container, most if not all add quite a bit of thier vineger sauce to the pork, they also furnished sauce on the table. I have never mixed suace with the pork, leaving it up to the idividual to add as much or as little as they like. Would like to get everyone thoughs on either/both systems.

Most recently, I pull and add rub, vinegar sauce and, a little apple juice. Each adds flavor. The moisture keeps it from drying out. It is better to err on less rather than more of all three.

DJ, remember that show focused on Carolina style, and in the Carolina's, that's what everyone expects.

Do what you like, or at least what you think your guests like. Different regions, different strokes.
icon_smile.gif

I add a pinch of cider vinegar and rub (and sometimes apple juice). Just a touch---then I provide it on the side for those who care to partake.

The done it a few times, where I've pulled and then added vinegar sauce. After a couple of hours, the pork seems to break down and become more tender, sometimes almost mushy. I didn't care for it, and like to serve whatever sauce I'm using on the side.

I pull it and add more rub after it's pulled and mix it up well. I serve sauce on the side so each can put on the type and amount that they like.
icon_smile.gif

Sometimes I like to reheat it in a sauce pan with some vinegar sauce, sometimes I do it in the microwave or a FoodSaver bag in boiling water without any added liquid. It depends what I'm doing with the pulled pork.

Maybe its just me, but I dont like the sauce pre-added to the meat, and im from SC myself. I only recall one place here that actually does that, and it is a "buffet bbq" joint. Everywhere else I've been here serves the meat un-sauced. maybe its a lowcountry thing Jim?

Most the people around here do not go for heavy smoke, and many have never heard of a rub. So for this group I sauce the pork lightly after chopping it and have lots of sauce on the side for the ones who want it swimming in sauce. I make a sweet cider vinegar sauce that is well liked around here. Goes great with cole slaw and hush puppies.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Rick

Hmmmm... might you be willing to share that sweet cider vinegar sauce approach? Sounds good.

Thanks - Keri C

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul Jenkin:
Maybe its just me, but I dont like the sauce pre-added to the meat, and im from SC myself. I only recall one place here that actually does that, and it is a "buffet bbq" joint. Everywhere else I've been here serves the meat un-sauced. maybe its a lowcountry thing Jim? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paul, I may be splitting hairs here, but I was referring to eastern style sauces which I really regard as
more of a finishing sauce. It's splashed on the meat after chopping, and you're right, many places don't even do that. Since the vin sauces are so different from what most people think of, they may not even realize it is sauced. However, q joint owners have to be pulling their hair out trying to satisfy everyone's tastes.

Back