Pulled pork sauce...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul S74

TVWBB Member
Whats a good finishing sauce to mix up the pulled porked when its shredded.

A local BBQ joint up here serves theres in some kind of sauce, its not really red but it is real tasty.

What do you guys use for finishing sauce to serve your pull pork?

Paul, this one is definately a personal preference. I like the MR Brown recipe and make the vinegar-based sauce associated with that recipe. Unfortunately the rest of my family hates it. The kids use Sweet Baby Ray's and the wife loves Bone Suckin' Sauce. I'm happy with just a spoonful of cole slaw on top.

Mr. Brown comes out great with no sauce. I am personally having some trouble with sauce. I can't seem to find one that I like. I keep trying to make one for myself, but it just doesn't work out. Next time I'm trying a mustard based sauce.

I make a vinegar based cole slaw (a little sweet) and the last Mr. Brown I made was terrific with this dressing. Next time, I'll make a little extra of the slaw dressing as a dip for the pork (although piling the slaw on top works for me).

I've been a little disappointed with commercial sauce. They all seem to have extra "smoke" flavor. Since the butt already has good smoke on it, I find the extra "smoke" overwhelming. Just my opinion, I'm sure there are many that counter that point.

Sorry not much help for you.

Paul, help us out a little here...how hot do you want it.....how sweet do you want it....any tomato at all or just a vinegar base?

I swear by this sauce:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Richard Johnson in the Beginner's Forum on 9/25/03

-----------------

For Eastern NC-style pulled pork, I use the
following finishing sauce:

1 Cup white vinegar
1 Cup cider vinegar
1 Tbs turbinado sugar
1 Tbs red pepper flakes
1 Tbs Tabasco
1 tsp kosher salt
cracked pepper to taste (maybe 1/2 tsp)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>When it's mixed with the pork, the vinegar flavor isn't as intense as you might think. Just good & tangy. Use it as a table sauce if you think someone will complain. I've always gotten positive responses, even from people who are sure they won't like it. It mixes well with other sauces, too.

You can use regular sugar instead of turbinado, I don't think anyone can taste a difference.

For something different than all the red sauces in the world, I love Big Bob Gibson's Backyard Mustard Sauce. I cook with it and use it on my sammiches. It is excellent on pulled pork.
-----------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

Mark,

Had some when I was down there last week. It is a great sauce on a pork sandwich. Like it enough to buy two bottles and two bottles of their original red sauce to take back with me.

All of us BBQ purists swear by vinegar sauces and/or mustard sauces for pork. Always nice to have some variety.

However, and maybe this should post in competition section (but most folks are like the judges), sweet is what folks most like.

So, for yourself, try out several styles and keep that off to the side for your own consumption but have the sweet stuff handy for your guests.

Dale

Joe Mac.....

You gotta head over to Hawgeyes store. He has a terrific collection of sauces that are used by some of the best BBQ teams on the planet. They may seem a bit pricey, but they are all worth it. Try them in conjunction with the rubs they were developed with.

Hawgeyes

Thanks Pat,

You're just confirming my suspicsions, gotta try a mustard sauce. Never have before, but I think now's the time.

I also recently tried the Bour-B-Q sauce from Smoke and Spice. Overall it wasn't bad, just WAY too oniony, and I used a 1/2 of what was called for and a very mild red onion to boot. The sauce does show some promise though. In addition, its always fun to "sample" the ingredients you put in, especially when one's bourbon.

I like a good vinegar based sauce myself.
I use:
2 cups of cider vinegar
1-2 T of crushed red pepper
1-2 t of ground cayenne
2 t of kosher salt
1 T of brown suger.
mix it real well.
I think it's best after you age if for a few weeks in a dark place. No need to refridgerate.

When you guys mention finishing sauce. Do you mean the sauce you mix with the pork BEFORE you add BBQ sauce. I know you have NC style which is basically a vinegar based sauce and KC style which is more "saucy" type sauce.

Most places I've bought BBQ from have either a seasoning or what tastes like vinegar seasoning in the meat. Then they give you another sauce to top it with.

When I think of a "finishing" sauce, I think of something in the way of a tomato-based and/or sweet glaze which could also be used as a "table" sauce. I think of vinegar-based sauces as a table sauce-- that which each person adds according to their taste. When pulling pork, I only mix in some rub, and leave the sauce-- be it tomato, vinegar, or whatever-based-- up to the individual consumer.

Finishing sauce to me I guess is something the individual puts on themselves. I put a little rub and vinegar sauce in my pulled pork before I serve. Not much, just enough to give a hint. Actually what I do is this. After it's pulled, I put a whole bunch in a frying pan. I mix my vinegar sauce with water, 3 parts water to one part sauce, enough to cover, and a little rub. Then I cook it down until I just barely get a little water over the spatula when I press down on it. I then serve several sauces on the side. My vinegar sauce (not watered down), a sweet sauce and a spicy KC sauce. I let them choose what sauce, if any, they want to use. I generally use a bit more vinegar sauce ( a little dab will do ya) or none at all.

Another good finish is to pile coleslaw on top of that sandwich. I prefer a vinegar based, but mayo based will do ya jus fine if that's what ya like!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back