Pulled Pork...my first overnight cook

James Lake

TVWBB Emerald Member
Happy Independence Day….First of all I want to thank everyone here that has given me advice and encouragement for my first overnight cook.

I UPS guy got here just in time, an hour before the cook went on.
IMAG0382_zpsce5b0ae8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I have the fire ring ready, Trader Joe's charcoal and a mix of hickory and apple
IMAG0383_zps841e6798.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The butts are rubbed and ready to go
IMAG0384_zps09ed5c00.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I put the butts on at 7:30 pm the temperature outside was 96 degrees. I checked on the grill a couple of times before bed and then grabbed the Maverick, I probably checked the Maverick 4 or 5 times during the night. The grill ranged between 225 and 250, I ran the vents at about 20%.

This boy worked all night to perfection, so proud of him
IMAG0387_zps0e8a7564.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

12 hours after going on the butts are close to getting done
IMAG0389_zps040e1a2e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It took another hour to bring the meat to 190 at which point it was time to come off of the grill. The butts almost fell apart as I was removing them from the grill and I could tell they were juicy. Here are some finished shoots:

IMAG0390_zps9b87f284.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMAG0391_zps42fca3a9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMAG0392_zps1017040c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We are not eating the pork until tomorrow when the rest of the guests arrive....at least that is the plan. I probably ate a 1/4 pound as I was pulling it. I put some finish sauce on it with some rub and into the fridge it went. I will be making the BBQ sauce today and enjoying the pork tomorrow. For dinner tonight the kids just want me to grill some burgers.

IMAG0394_zps63466886.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMAG03962_zpse8ad0305.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks again to everyone on here that talked me through this. I hope you all have a happy and SAFE independence day!

Oh the overnights are like a newborn baby watch..... you did well, very well!
Let us know what the guest thought......

Nice job there. Overnighters make it seem too easy doesn't it. Once you trust your overnighters you will sleep all night and won't have to say this anymore: "I probably checked the Maverick 4 or 5 times during the night."

Back