pulled pork-how do you pull?

G

Hey everyone,

Had a 4th of july picnic and i did one boston butt and one brisket. Everything came out great. I actually forgot to put a sop on any of it and it still came out great. I did an overnight using the minion method. My only questions is how does everyone do the actual pulling of the pork apart? i simply pulled it into shreds but the pieces were kind of big so i'm thinking next time i might pull it all and then cut about 1/3 of it with a knife to sort of shred it. What do your quests usually like best? Thanks in advnace.

I usually will pull with a fork, or if it's soft enough pull bare handed. Then the larger pieces I just slice with a knife to the desired length.

I just did my first pull this weekend and ended up using a wooden spoon and one of those spaghetti ladles. Worked better then I thought it would.

I like to use "Bear Claws" I saw someone on foodtv using the m to pull pork and ordered a pair off of the internet for under $10. They work really well. I also like using a pair of plastic gloves and shredding.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R.D. Harles:
I've tried forks and "bear claws" but by far, the easiest way to pull pork is using these PVC-coated gloves:
http://www.texasbbqrub.com/tools.htm </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's exactly what I do - those things at the end of your arms work really well, just need a little heat-proofing.

How are those gloves sized? For football players?

I've been using the small size of disposable latex gloves and they are slightly loose for me although I think I have an average ladies' hand size.

Would these gloves fall off my hands?

Butts pull very well at warm hand-friendly temperatures, so I've been pulling by hand even though I have a set of Bear Claws, which also work well. I just feel I have more control and can more easily pick out any clumps of fat within the meat.

Rita

Too hot or not, these gloves. If it's hot, I'm protected; if just warm, I don't get messy hands. Pull into thumb-sized chunks, making an effort to have a bit of bark on the tip of each. When finished, just wash hands-- with gloves still on, of course-- in lukewarm water with grease-cutting dishwashing liquid as "hand soap".

I prefer to throw on a pair of gloves and pull by hand. This way I can remove any undesirable parts such as pockets of fatty tissue that remain after the cook.

I use a big fork and a knife. I like to cut some of the chunks so that the pieces are more bite size. I little pulling, a little chopping, a little sauce and a bun and everyone's happy!

I use plain bulk latex gloves just to keep the grease off of the fingers. Grab a chunk, defat it if there is any significant attached, mash it out on the cutting board and chop away with a cleaver. I prefer a fine chop.

I cooked some tri tip steaks and my mom put the leftovers in her cuisineart and it looked like pulled beef! We used the meat with homemade tortillas.

I thought she pulled it by hand.

Aloha!

Greg Kemp

cotton work glove covered w/ latex glove. works perfect. protects from heat and still have good dexterity to get rid of undesirables.

Instead of a knife I use a pair of kitchen shears to cut apart the long strands. This seems to work well and you can do it directly over or in your holding pan without need for a separate cutting surface.

Oh and I go just bare hands otherwise

Back