Pulled Pork Help Please - how to keep it moist for serving two days later.

Kevin C.

TVWBB Member
I've got to smoke two eight lb boston butts this weekend to serve at a small school faculty luncheon on Tuesday. I've yet to use a finishing sauce, so I need some guidance on how to keep the meat moist please - recipe, directions, etc.

I will likely pull the meat this weekend, bag it, and then put it in crock pots on Tuesday for serving.

Any help that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kevin,when you put it in the crock pot add a sauce of your choice and heat it all at once. It will come out wonderful. HTH

I mist mine with a little apple juice and stir it with my hands (in plastic gloves, of course) once nice and warmed I serve on a bun and drizzle the tops with some bbq sauce. Turns out good for me.

I use this for a finishing sauce - a few tablespoons, tops, for each handful of PP. It goes well with whatever your serving sauce(s) will be. (I don't like mixing 'regular' sauce with PP prior to serving.)

Regardless, you don't necessarily need to add anything. Drying out occurs if the PP is over-reheated. Avoid that and it will not dry out.

My personal tastes but here is how I do it.
Cook ahead of time and pull it.
Make sure to add a good amount of fat to it and store in a big disposable foil pan.
Wrap it tight with plastic wrap and foil.
Stick it in the fridge.
On D-day, put in the oven at about 225 for 40min.
It comes out as good as the day I pulled it because of the extra fat I put in with the meat.

I would never ruin PP by putting sauce on it.
Sauce is only good to cover up mistakes.
Sauce should always be served on the side.

Thanks everyone for your guidance and advice!

My que was a big hit at the faculty lunch today. Pulled pork cooked fourteen hours in the WSM has a way of making you the "hero of the day."

The crowd turned out much larger than I thought at first....had to feed almost forty people. Thankfully, others brought Brunswick stew and other sides and desserts.

For future large gatherings, how much pulled pork (by cooked weight) do y'all typically prepare per person? Four ounces...more/less?

I wasn't there....sent the que in two crock pots, but I am getting word that everyone raved about how good it was, and saying that I am more than welcome to "contribute" again anytime. I used a finishing sauce in one pot, and went with a little plain apple juice along with a dusting of Wolf Rub Original in the other pot. I'm not sure which one was the most popular, but I am going to try and find out. Two of my son's "after-lunch" teachers made it a point to tell him how good the que was.

Thanks again for the help!!

Kevin...I figure 6 oz. of finished product per person. An average "bun" will hold between 2.5 - 4 oz., and some will have more. Children will of course eat less, but 6 oz. is a good number to work with. Raw weight will shrink to about 1/2 after cooking. And when in doubt, ALWAYS make more. You can always find a use for leftovers.

Oh, and as an added trick, if there will be other meats or a lot of sides, I will use sliced dinner rolls. They are smaller and help eliminate the "thrown away" half eaten sandwich. HTH

Back