pulled brisket?

TonyG

TVWBB Fan
Sorry guys, I hate to admit this but I kinda like the pulled brisket at Sonney´s. I have done brisket very well a couple times but I have had the hardest time with it. I can do a perfect butt and the best ribs in the universe (as well as anything else) but my brisket is hit and miss. My question is two-part, how can I do a ¨best brisket in the universe¨ and how can I make it tender enough to pull?

Thanks for the help guys.....bbq wouldn´t be a way of life without you!!!

I have been having excellent results cooking it indirect until the meat is about 165*, wrapping tightly, and continuing to cook until TENDER - then wrap in towels and hold for a while.

It doesn't even seem to matter if you cook it indirect at 225 or 325 grate!

Try it - what do you have to lose - a brisket???

Tony - I was in a competition last weekend and I cooked 3 four pound flats. I ordered them from a local butcher and paid for prime cut brisket. With that being said I over cooked one of them to the point it was starting to fall apart. I believe if you follow what my mistake was you may be able to accomplish what you're looking for with pulled brisket.

First marinate your brisket with the following:
1 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
4 large cloves of garlic pressed/minced
2 TBS paprika
1 TBS kosher salt
2 tsp black pepper

marinate brisket(s) overnight in a ziploc, get out as much air as you can.

Step 2
Take the brisket(s) out of the marinade. Let the excess drip off but don't dry them off. Next, use a brisket rub of your choosing. Get your lid temp up to 225 and throw the briskets in. When your briskets reaches 160/165 foil and let the brisket finish up ccoking. I would say to take the briskets off when they reach a temp of 215-220. Rest about 3 hrs then pull your brisket meat.
The foiling process will "steam" your brisket and make for some nice pulled beef.

Let me know how it works out for you.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I've made some good brisket on the WSM, and they are tender, full of flavor. They kinda fall apart, but not what I had in Texas recently. I foil at 165F, and bring my meat up to 201F. I think I will take my next Brisket to 215F or more, in foil, and let it rest for 3hrs, so it really falls apart. I hate to say it, but that is what most people at work want my brisket to be, fall apart. They just love it like pot roast like, with the smokey flavor with it.

Be careful with taking the internal temps so high. Foiled to 205 is still falling apart. Anything after that and the meat can start drying out. The window of time between a good and bad cook at those temps isn't very long.

Back