Pull temp for chuck roll

Scott Hoofman

TVWBB Super Fan
What's a good temp to pull chuck roll at. I've got a 12.5 pounder on right now thats sitting at 163. Lots of discussion in the threads about chuck rolls, but I couldn't find a temp, except for someone mentioning that they were going to pull at 190. Thats what I plan on pulling at unless more experienced chuckers tell me different.
icon_smile.gif

Scott, I usually foil the CR at 170 and take it to 195-200. It has plenty of fat in it so no worries on it drying out. You don't have to foil it but i always do. You should flip it so the bottom doesn't get too crisp. I always flip it when i foil the CR. Well one time i didn't and it got very crispy on the bottom on a 20.5 hr cook. HTH
icon_smile.gif

I'll do that. Its still sitting at 163, but as soon as it hits 170 I'll foil, then go to 195-200.

Thanks alot for the advice. Very much appreciated.

Bryan thanks a lot for the advice.
icon_smile.gif
I foiled at 170 and pulled it at 195. Right now, its been wrapped in double aluminum foil and sitting in a cooler for the last 1 1/2 hr. Looked and smelled great. In fact, it smelled better while smoking IMO than butts do when they are smoking.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Scott sounds like it came out good. I really like doing the CR. Alot of people say they are too greasy but i don't think so. The wife just asked the other day when i was going to do another one while she was eating the butt that just came off the WSM. Please let us know how you like it.
icon_smile.gif

The c/r came out great. We pulled it and the wife mixed up (found on another thread) some sweet baby ray's bbq sauce and some pineapple juice to put on it. Wow. Good eats. Wife really liked the both the beef and the sauce. Gotta do that again. As for the greasiness, lets just say, I'm glad I went and worked out at the YMCA this morning.
icon_wink.gif

I was very surprised that their was not as much shrinkage compared to the pork butt. At 12.5 lbs. we had a truckload of meat leftover!

Back