PSB2022

I did. Third week in October. Planned on finishing it the Saturday after Thanksgiving… but the hip was bothering me so I decided to wait.
The extra cure time did not hurt the taste whatsoever.
Good to know, thanks.
I exclusively use Buckboard Bacon Cure now, good stuff.

View attachment 44274
View attachment 44275
When the beef was done, I replaced it with a 2 1/2 pound cured pork loin
View attachment 44276
The beef was tossed in the oven with a foil cover over it and the sliced peppers with the stout and the Worcestershire sauce
The pork was done in two hours
View attachment 44277
View attachment 44278
When the pork was done the charcoal was still going good so I decided to put some bratwurst on
View attachment 44279
as the fire died down, the brats still took quite a while to come to temperature in fact I took them off when their internal temperature was at 158° …I finish them in the oven.
Back to the Pepper Stout Beef…
It’s done.
View attachment 44280
View attachment 44281
View attachment 44282
…and the brats…
View attachment 44283
Plated photos…? Where are they??🤔
Jim, after your beef was done, it looks like you pulled it at 137 or so? how long did you do it in the oven next? and do you know your final temp before shredding?

My son has asked for a smoked butt and chuck roast for this Sat night so I need to prepare my rubs and cook temps and times.

i'm planning on the butt and chuck roast to cook side by side at around 250-275. figuring the butt will run 1 hr to 1:15hr per # to get to 203-205 and a chuck, around 3.5-4# will take around 6 hours to get to 202 (probe tender) with a paper wrap at 160/165.

would like your or any others' feedback on times and temps.

your cook looks amazing here. i'm sure you enjoyed every last bite! congrats!!!

Last edited:
Jim, after your beef was done, it looks like you pulled it at 137 or so? how long did you do it in the oven next? and do you know your final temp before shredding?
i removed the beef from the smoker when the internal temp hit 160-165ºF.
then place on the peppers onions everything in the foil pan, foil cover it tight, toss in preheated oven at 350ºF for another 3 hours or so... i don't temp the meat after i remove it from the smoker, no need to in my mind.
if the beef pulls easy, it's done. i pull / shred it and mix it with everything in the foil pan then back in the oven to reduce the liquid about in half.
then eet.
easy peasy.

Back