Project #2 weber summit

Sonia,
Great pickup You will have two done before I finish one😟! I have the stainless panels for the front and now picking up ones to do the same for that back firebox piece. I am way behind in getting these out to people, but I am going to try to catch up. With these you should be able to get that grill safely working regardless of rust in the firebox front or back. Other than that Achilles heal, you already know what well built, awesome grills these are.
:coolkettle:

OK. I can't keep the generations straight. The latest generation is pretty easy to ID for me though.

First gen has multiple igniter buttons. One for each 2 burners and the buttons are on top between burner controls. Second gen has a single igniter button on the front trim panel. 3rd (last) gen has no button. Using a type of "click" to ignite a pilot jet on top of the burner(s).

The first generation has that very high hood and those thick 304 stainless shelves and condiment trays. Other than the firebox front and back, almost everything else speaks of original Weber quality amped up even more for this special grill. The 4-burner had a list price of $2,400 back in the day. That is about $4,500 today. The current generation Summit doesn't even fetch that much. It shouldn't, given all the cheap materials. The stainless on this 1st gen is just amazing. Over 20 pounds of real 304 stainless.

This really was the grill we keep asking for other than the stupid firebox. With the stainless patch panels my sheet metal shop came up with, though, this can be corrected. I am picking up "plain" pieces just like what they made for the front. I have found that even my back porcelain piece has the beginnings of rust, brought on by heat expansion, that will burn through in time. These were relatively cheap to have made since no need to cut burner holes.

I also love this grill's very unique look that is unlike anything else Weber made. The 2nd generation Summits look nice, but a lot like a Genesis of that time period. The only one of those I would ever consider is the Platinum model.

Last edited:
Sonia,
Great pickup You will have two done before I finish one😟! I have the stainless panels for the front and now picking up ones to do the same for that back firebox piece. I am way behind in getting these out to people, but I am going to try to catch up. With these you should be able to get that grill safely working regardless of rust in the firebox front or back. Other than that Achilles heal, you already know what well built, awesome grills these are.
:coolkettle:
Don't worry, its not a race :) and I don't plan on doing anything with this one for a while. I'll gather the parts I'll need over winter but there want be any demo over until spring or summer. I saw the updates on your grill, it looks great!! How did you get your stainless to shine like that?

Don't worry, its not a race :) and I don't plan on doing anything with this one for a while. I'll gather the parts I'll need over winter but there want be any demo over until spring or summer. I saw the updates on your grill, it looks great!! How did you get your stainless to shine like that?
I am personally a fan of Bar Keeper’s Friend. Use with a soft scrub pad and scrub in the direction of the “grain.” Not everyone agrees, but on real 304 stainless like our 1st generation Summits have, it has always done a great job for me.

Here is a time I used it in a BroilMaster cart that is also 304 stainless:

044C66A5-2CA9-4228-AF87-21A3FA0F0F8E.jpeg

Last edited:

Back