problems with LCD/display

Denis H.

Hi,
i put all parts together and started the PCB 4.2.4 with Image V12. I can access WRT via browser and the display is set as per default to 2-line Home. Everything seems to work (probe etc.) except the display.
The backlight from the display start when i put in power but i don't see any text in the display. Also when i move to left or right nothing happened.
For the installation i used this guide: https://github.com/CapnBry/HeaterMeter/wiki/Preparing-LCD-for-v4.2-Installation

Router Name OpenWrt
Router Model BCM2708
Firmware Version OpenWrt Attitude Adjustment 12.09 / LuCI 0.11.1 Release (0.11.1)
Kernel Version 3.3.8

I'm need to into this hardware but does anyone of you had the same issue or maybe has in idea what to check?

Thanks in advance.

Denis

Also, After trying the Contrast, post some close up pictures of the board back and front, to see if we can see anything. When I run into a Display issue from time to time, I take the soldering iron to LCD and shift register and hit each solder joint one more time or you can take some desolder braid and hit each solder joint, really quick to remove excess solder that may be causing the issue.

Thanks for you reply

@AZarett:
Yes, i tried this one and in the picture i turned it more down.

@John B.
I'm not sure if i get you right. You mean one of the solder joint can be not correct?

IMG_2115.JPG

IMG_2116.JPG

IMG_2117.JPG

Pins 6, 17, 19 on the ATMega go to the shift register, check soldering on those. Check solder on the shift register IC. Since you have backrgound light and contrast pot working on the display check solder on pins 4,6,11,12,13,14 on your display

Well, I cant see anything glaring issues with the board. The Atmega looks to be Programmed as you have 2 rows of blocks instead of one row. Some of the pads are still visible. So, the first thing I would do would be to add solder to the solder pads that are still visible. I have a red box around the pads that look like they need more solder. and while you are adding the solder to those pads, take the soldering iron to the other soldering pads and reheat them really quick to make sure they have a good solid connection and to remove any unseen solder bridges.

nt208.jpg

Last edited:
Do the boxes fade away when you turn contrast pot? Kinda looks like the contrast is cranked? Pin3 on the LCD should sweep from gnd to +5VDC when you rotate the contrast pot.

Thanks for all your suggestions
We renew all pings for the display and we missed 2 pins from the controller (right from the at of Heatermeter) and now it's working :)

Back