Problem smoking summer sausage

Ok I'm doing up another 5 pounds today. I ground up 5 lbs with pork back fat (I couldn't get any beef fat from the butcher this week, all they had was pork). I ground everything into a bowl in Ice, and then added my spice and some powdered milk as a binder, added the cure #1 and reground it again. the grinds were way nicer. I kept putting the meat back into the fridge between each step to cool it. I stuffed a casing and 1/2. it took a while as I only have the kitchenaid grinder and stuffing attachment. After stuffing took so long, I have a Lem 5lb stuffer coming this week. I am letting the sausage cure overnight in the fridge, and will be smoking them tomorrow. I will post with the results.

Thanks everybody, I am confident just by the way the meat ground so nice that this is going to work.

Ok summer sausage is done. there was some fat that rendered our, but not near as much as the last time. It tastes ok, not dry. I think that the lack of visual fat in the sausage is due to the stuffing. The Kitchenaid is not quite up to the task. I will have to try another batch once the Lem stuffer arrives.

20170917_224433.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bbq9vwwbug2vmhx/20170917_224448.jpg?dl=0

Looks great Tim. Remember, you don't need to get it to look like store-bought product. Sometimes individuality is more important. PLUS when you write down what you did and what your impressions were, the next time you do it you can tweak it more to your liking.

Home made is ALWAYS better than store-bought.

Thanks Len,

I have already got the meat for the next batch. I kept pretty detailed records on this batch. I think this time I will mix up the batch wed night and let it ferment in the fridge till sat and then stuff and smoke it. from what I've read this will give it more of the tangy taste. cant wait to use the new stuffer.

One day is enough for the melding of flavours. Ground meat should not be kept for days till being frozen/cooked. Once it goes through the grinder, there are millions more spaces (ie surfaces) for bacteria to get started.

Grind friday/smoke saturday.

Back