Probe holder?

Mark B.

Is anyone using a homemade probe holder like the Guru tree for the grate or other ideas. I've the potato idea, but don't have those around all the time. I thought about ordering the Guru tree but after shipping the thing would cost over $30 (seems a little pricey). Would love to see some other easy ideas. Thanks in advance.

Try cutting a piece of hardwood approx. 2.5"x 2.5" with a hole drilled in it. I've been using it for a few years and it works great. They don't burn,last quite a while and don't cost dirt to make.

If I don't have a potato handy, I poke the probe through a wad of foil. Works well enough to keep it off the grate.

I took the two thin strips of stainless steel from a windshield wiper blade, and made a probe holder. After several failed attempts at describing what it looks like, I'll have to try to post a photo instead. Basically the strips were bent around a drill bit to form a loop that holds the probe securely, and this attaches to the cooking grate with a clamp (the probe holder from my Stoker). I think it would be simple to eliminate the clamp by just forming the other end of the strip to attach to the grate.

Those steel strips from old wiper blades are handy for various uses. I always save them when I put new wiper blades on the car.

I use the clip from a deep fry thermometer. Just slide the probe through both holes and clip it to the grate. Can mount it on top or bottom of the grate.

Back