Prime Rib

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
Don't really see too many posts about smoking prime rib roast. Maybe because it's too lean?

Anyways, had a nice 4lb and a bit roast and as I liked what happened to ribs, I wanted to try this.

Just used a plain cracked pepper and ground sea salt coating (over olive oil base). I used a handful and a half of apple chips wrapped in "holey" aluminum foil.

Got the unit to 300o (empty water pan, just foiled) and in exactly two hours it got to 129o internal with these results. The two ribs are cut off but I smoked the roast with them still attached/tied and then on the grill fat-side down. I didn't measure internal after letting it sit for an hour but just assumed it would rise about 8o so this internal pic is probably about 138o.

primerib1.jpg

primerib2.jpg

I added the horseradish & cream sauce as found in the recipe section.

Mmmm mmmm good
icon_biggrin.gif

One other tip (I read here
icon_wink.gif
) was it may be a bit "rarer" than some like.

Wifey prefers hers "burnt" (medium well) so after slicing some off for her, I popped those pieces into a non-stick skillet (I used no oil) set on a gas stove set at level 4 (just under medium temp) -->for 10 seconds each side<-- . It was just enough to take the red out but still leave it tender.

Back