Prime Rib w/ pellets on a Weber grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Parizo

TVWBB Member
Hi all,

I did the herb-crusted Prime Rib for Christmas and it really came out great!

Normally, I would have packed up my WSM and brought it with me to Cape Cod, but I had to keep the minivan clear for presents, so just this once I did a smoke on my father-in-law's regular propane Weber grill.

I got a ET73 and an electric knife for Christmas, both of which worked out fine on the Prime Rib!

Only problem I ran into was with the pellets: I made the foil pack and stuck that under the grate on the fire but the whole thing was in flames within a few minutes. I salvaged the pellets the best I could -- but they were all black. I rewrapped them (I didn't travel with extras) and replaced them under the grate -- this time away from the flame. I think I may have ruined the smoke part of the cook, as I didn't see a smoke ring and didn't detect any smoke flavor.

I guess I was supposed to put the pellet foil pack under the grate but NOT on the fire?

Anyway, thanks to Chris for the excellent instructions -- even without the smoke it was a hit! Merry Christmas all!

Doug,

I've done foil packets on my gasser many times but what I do is after they begin to smoke, I turn off the burner that is directly under.
Oh, almost forgot, I use several layers of heavy duty foil to make the packest.

Al

Or ya could just save yourself the trouble if ya use chips and pellets alot, put ten bucks down on a cast iron or similar smoker box.
icon_biggrin.gif

Big Al

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back