Prime Rib umm...umm...good

M. Chesney

TVWBB Fan
All,

Just wanted to share my first experience in putting a small end 3-boned Prime Rib on the WSM. I followed Chris' recommended Herb Roast recipe and encourage others to use it. It came out spectacular. I only regret that I didn’t take a photo.

Herb Roast Recipe Herb Roast Recipe

I would follow this recipe exactly with a few modifications.

(1) A quick 10-minute sear opposite of the bone end. I did this by placing it on the lower grill without the pan in order to get direct heat to color it a golden brown.

(2) Use an internal thermometer—a must. I removed it off the grill in exactly two hours at 125 degrees and wrapped it in foil for 30 minutes brining it up 5 more degrees for a medium cook.

(3) If you use the double piedmont pan modification remove it and use the original Weber pan (no water) in order to maintain the lid temp high at 350 degrees with all 3 vents wide open. The double piedmont works well for low and slow smokes, but in this case it was more like indirect BBQ.

I know this type of meat is expensive and the only thing holding me back in attempting this was the chance of messing it up but if you follow the recipe it will be a delight for you and your guests on those special occasions.

Mike
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Mmmmmm, Prime Rib, That sure sounds good. I did one last year, turned out great. Thanks for your tips.

Mike,
I haven't been cooking with a meat thermometer but I'm going to start. I also want to try a prime rib, and don't want to mess it up. Pulling the roast off at 125, foilng for 1/2 hr, temp went up 5 degrees. What was the color of the meat in the center of the roast. was it dark red or pink. Some of my family are pretty fussy about "Rare" meat. I don't mind spending the money for prime rib, but want everyone to enjoy it. Thanks
John

John,

My family is fussy as well and I trusted my thermometer and it came out perfect. Pink in the middle and brown around the edges. No deep red bloody pieces. I believe if I cooked it longer it would have lost its tenderness.

Good luck and enjoy,

Mike

Back