Prime Rib on the Grill - Ridiculously easy and fantastic

My dad is the master of PR on the grill. Here is one of his recipes. This is the time to play around with PR as it is cheaper this time of the year. Get it down to a science now so you don't blow it around the holidays.

Start with your standing rib roast:

APR10.jpg

Now, roast some garlic:

APR4-1024x680.jpg

APR11-1024x680.jpg

Now smear that roasted garlic all over the PR and add some coarse salt and black pepper:

APR12-1024x680.jpg

Do I have you attention yet? Thought so.

For the grill my dad uses, an old Charbroil that has just been re-released by Charbroil as the CB940 he goes with what he calls the flank method of indirect grilling. Coals on either side and the meat in the middle:

APR15-1024x680.jpg

Now place it on a roasting rack to allow for maximum smoke penetration (used pecan for this which is great with beef):

APR16-1024x680.jpg

The desired temp here is between 300 and 325. About 30 minutes in he bastes it with Andria's Steak sauce:

APR17-1024x680.jpg

APR18-1024x680.jpg

One hour in and another basting:

APR20.jpg

Two hours in and ready to come off the grill and rest:

APR22-1024x680.jpg

Let it rest for a good 15 minutes under a loose piece of foil:

APR27-1024x680.jpg

Remove the bones if you like. We did:

APR29-1024x680.jpg

Then slice:

APR35-1024x680.jpg

How's that for my inaugural thread?

lower right-hand corner of your post, middle envelope, (i believe)
the photos you did post looks OUTSTANDING!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Location: On the back patio next to the grill, adult beverage in hand </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Andrea's Sauce. I am thinking you are in the St. Louis area.

I haven't did one yet, but might try to do one on the rotisserie on my kettle. Did you flip the PR over half way through? Did you do any kind of sear or just 300 to 325 the whole way indirect?

It looks fantastic by the way!

Scott, that is positively the best looking prime rib I've ever seen (and not just because I ate vegetarian tonight)! I love those big juicy slices. Congrats to you and dad.

Gorgeous. Just about to tuck into some Kraft Dinner (Son's request). Now you posted this. Yikes. Hankering for some....

Wow, nice even doneness all through. Looks like that temp works perfectly. I was thinking St. Louis area too with the Andrias. That is how I'm doing my next prime rib roast. The sliced pic is great!

Ahhhhhh Scott - Now I see why you made such a big mistake. You are still a "Newbie". Anytime you put out a SRR that looks that good, to complete the cook you have to send out invitations. At least I never received one. Nice job my friend. I think we are all just a little jealous right now. Thanks for sharing. Bob
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back