Prime rib - best way to keep the temp. low

R_Pincus

TVWBB Member
I am grilling my standing rib roast for Christmas again this year.

I plan on using the low-heat / high sear method to cook the roast. This will keep the gray band as low as possible.

I plan on doing a semi-minion method, where I pile some unlit charcoal on half the kettle then cover with a few lit briquettes. The roast will go on the opposite side of the grill over a drip pan.

I plan also to keep the vents almost closed.

Any other tips for keeping temp down on a OTG?

Sounds like you have the right plan. My experience has shown 8-10 lit will yield 250-280*. One tip, no peaking. Lifting the lid really stokes it up.

You've got a good plan and shouldn't have any issues keeping temps low as long as your lid/kettle fit is decent. Also, you'll want to remove any hang-on gadgets like tool or lid holders, and your vent fins should be in good shape and fairly tight to the bowl. Ask me how I know. Every time I'm down in Mississippi I try to do a pre-cook assessment of my dad's kettle and tweak back into shape.
icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J. Gibson:
Sounds like a solid plan, I place a couple of fire-bricks in my kettle to assist with keeping the temps down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just curious how you use the fire bricks to keep the temps low. Most people use them as coal retainers. Are you using them on the grate like a stone.

Firebricks are a heat sink. They will absorb heat then release it. As long as too many coals aren't lit they will help to mitigate temps in the cooker.

Water in an alternative.

Back