Prices of various weber grill back in the day.

Jim Owen

TVWBB Fan
I was wondering if anybody knew what the prices of various Weber grills were when they first came out. Like the early genesis 2, 3 or 4s. Or the x000 grills. I know it doesn't matter, but would be interesting to know.

I paid $459 for my Genesis 2 on closeout. I bought it at the end of the season in 1992 when the 2000 model was coming out. I knew the only difference was casters and the tank scale so I sprung on it

I paid $479.99 in 1998 for a Geneses 1000LX at Ace Hardware and I still have it. In 2018 I converted it to a 2000LX. Great Grill!

I’m also trying to find out what a 1998 genesis 2000 cost back in 98. If anyone has info on that!
I have an original Weber advertisement showing in the LX series they show a 500LX a 1000LX and a 3000LX but no 2000LX. So I'm not sure they made a 2000 in 1998

Last edited:
This is an old sale ad I have from Father's Day, June of 1999 from Spags.

I absolutely loved shopping at Spags back in the day, especially when I first bought my Home as they not only had the best prices, but quality tools, paint, and hardware as well. They were a Massachusetts Icon.

We8sLZk.jpg

As you can see by my scribbling on the ad Home Depot had the Weber 1100 with cast iron grates for $499

I ended up purchasing a Weber Spirit 700, also back in 1999 as with my Family discount from Aubuchon Hardware it was $359 dollars. That grill is still going strong to this day with a Family friend.

Jeff

Thanks for posting that, Jeff! That's a classic time capsule. It also confirms my recollection in a thread where we were discussing the original cast iron grates. Someone suggested that they were aftermarket, but the patent on the very original uncoated grates belongs to Weber. I thought I remembered that they came standard on Home Depot's Webers back in those days.

This is an old sale ad I have from Father's Day, June of 1999 from Spags.

I absolutely loved shopping at Spags back in the day, especially when I first bought my Home as they not only had the best prices, but quality tools, paint, and hardware as well. They were a Massachusetts Icon.

We8sLZk.jpg

As you can see by my scribbling on the ad Home Depot had the Weber 1100 with cast iron grates for $499

I ended up purchasing a Weber Spirit 700, also back in 1999 as with my Family discount from Aubuchon Hardware it was $359 dollars. That grill is still going strong to this day with a Family friend.

Jeff
Hi Jeff, do you remember what part of the store the grills were in? I think Spag's had the Schoolhouse and a separate sporting goods building around that time

BPratt,
The grills were located in the main Spags building on the left side. If I remember correctly they had a couple on display outside near the main exits too.

I remember going there as a kid with my Parents and Grandparents once a month. The Men were cruising the Hardware department, the Woman were in the Garden and Schoolhouse buildings,(gotta get those free tomato plants on Memorial Day!) and us kids would head to the Sporting goods store. Spags had something for everyone.

Once I purchase my own Home I painted the entire inside of my Home as well as all the outside trim (my Home is Brick), with Benjamin Moore paints bought from Spags. I bought my Porter Cable Circular saw from Spags, I purchased my Basketball rim from them as well and it still hangs outside my Home to this day, I also purchased my Wife a Canadian Rocker from the Schoolhouse when she was due with our first child for those long, sleepless nights with my colically Daughter.

That was the thing about Spags, they sold top quality items at great prices. Unfortunately, after Mr Spags passed the Daughter's couldn't keep the store going and Building 19 turned it into a junk store selling sub-par products. It was an insult that they named it Spags 19 at first.

I cringe every time I drive by that area now seeing what it is now.

Jeff

Last edited:
BPratt,
The grills were located in the main Spags building on the left side. If I remember correctly they had a couple on display outside near the main exits too.

I remember going there as a kid with my Parents and Grandparents once a month. The Men were cruising the Hardware department, the Woman were in the Garden and Schoolhouse buildings,(gotta get those free tomato plants on Memorial Day!) and us kids would head to the Sporting goods store. Spags had something for everyone.

Once I purchase my own Home I painted the entire inside of my Home as well as all the outside trim (my Home is Brick), with Benjamin Moore paints bought from Spags. I bought my Porter Cable Circular saw from Spags, I purchased my Basketball rim from them as well and it still hangs outside my Home to this day, I also purchased my Wife a Canadian Rocker from the Schoolhouse when she was due with our first child for those long, sleepless nights with my colically Daughter.

That was the thing about Spags, they sold top quality items at great prices. Unfortunately, after Mr Spags passed the Daughter's couldn't keep the store going and Building 19 turned it into a junk store selling sub-par products. It was an insult that they named it Spags 19 at first.

I cringe every time I drive by that area now seeing what it is now.

Jeff
No bags at Spag's. I still have tools and other items from Spag's. They wrote the prices right on the items with a markers.

Whole Foods is in the location now. They have a tribute to the Spag's legacy in the dining area.

My father paid $550 for his genesis 1000 back in the day. It's still going strong for me to this day.

I paid $499 for my hunter green 1300LX in 1999. Bought it from Hudson Appliance. I still have the receipt for it.

Some of you who grew up from my area may remember Kay's Merchandise. That's where mine came from.

I can't tell Weber stories that go that far back. I do remember looking at Weber Genesis grills in the late 90's and wishing I could afford one. I wound up buying a Coleman:rolleyes:. Typical joke grill. One cool thing was that the side tables came out on 45 degree angles. The grill slid perfectly into a 45 cut angle in my deck where we lived in Asheville, NC at the time. I knew little about grills then - I bought a COLEMAN - and in time it finally had a nuclear meltdown. Funny thing was that it was still sitting there when we put the house up for sale. The buyer wheeled and dealed with us looking for one concession after another until the final requirement was met: throw in the grill! 😁

Back