precooking ribs

Ed Cardoza

TVWBB Pro
Got a question for all that are in the know.
I am going to be attending a family BBQ this weekend and don't want to haul my WSM all the way up north to do the ribs. I would like to start them here in the morning and finish them once I get to the "Q". Does anyone have any suggestions? the "Q" is about 1-1/2 hours away.

Is there a grill to use at the other end? Might be good to use a 3-2-1 method (or similar), but stop at the 3-2 and do the "1" at the other end.

In other words cook them until "just about" done and then finish them off on a grill if possible, else in the broiler at the other end.

I think they would be fine.

I did something similar for my son's 21'st party this summer. I smoked the ribs in the WSM in the morning and kept them in a covered foil pan until the party that evening. Cut them and finsihed/glazed on the grill short time direct then indirect before serving.

Everyone at the party said they were the best ribs they ever had. And a number of his friends either cook or have fathers that Q.

that is sort of the direction I was heading, but just wasn't sure how they would hold up in a cooler for the drive. Sure don't want them to be mushy. He has a brand spanking new gasser that I can re-heat on.

I stopped the cooking process once they came out of the WSM. I.E., I did not keep them warm or have them continue to cook in any way as in keeping them foiled or tented, etc. Basically set them out to cool uncovered, then into the foil pan, then covered. They were basicaly "done" except for the finishing part. They finished off not mushy at all. They were not "fall off" had just a little pull to them after removing from the grill.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Todd Randall:
And you get to dirty sauce up his new grill!!
Todd </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly
icon_cool.gif
Wheres the evil grin emote when you need it
icon_wink.gif

You can hold ribs hot for hours if you wrap them & put them in a well insulated container (ice chest, etc.).

I've held BBQ for the better portion of a day this way.

In addition, you can always wrap them in foil and reheat them in a low oven. Should turn out just fine.

just dont stop cooing partway done!! finish em then hold. or finish them chill and then reheat. just dont stop half done that leads to people getting sick.

i have successfully re-heated ribs the next day on a kettle pit by making an aluminum foil bowl and using that far from the heat source to slowly raise the ribs to piping hot with good success. water can be added and the whole thing wrapped and heated on a grill slowly. but if you get them done before you leave a couple of hours in a air tight cooler is not a problem foil em and wrap in towls it will maintain heat just fine.

Back