pre sliced belly

Scott M.

TVWBB Fan
Enjoyed making bacon with Bob's process so much, that I have been planning to do it again. I don't have a local Costco, but my brother does. I have seen posts here about the bellies there, so I asked him to pick one up for me. He said all they had was pre sliced, so he picked that up. I am not sure what to do with it. I don't know if it will cure the same way. I am conerned that all of the extra surface area might make for some toxic sodium levels. Have any of you dealt with pre sliced bellies? Should I just smoke it uncured, then use it faster?

Bob- thanks for the link. Same exact problem/question!
I guess I'll have a better idea what to do when I lay eyes on it. Right now, it is on its way with my brother, so returning isn't option.
How do you prepare it when you cook it fresh? I bet it is hard to mess up. To quote Emeril, "pork fat rules!"

Those bellies don't show up at Costco cut, they cut them in the back. My Costco does the same. If you track down one of the guys who works in the meat dept, they can grab you one in the cryovac whole.....

HTH.

R

Back