Practice Turkey - Butter injection turned breast jelly? (only in a couple places)

Sean R

TVWBB Member
I smoked a turkey following the method in the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZtSYdG0uuw

Basically, injected with chicken broth/butter that was seasoned with paprika and habanero chilli powder.
Smoked for about 5hrs @ 250 on a 7.8lb bird.

Everything came out pretty good... However some of the breast meat was almost jelly.
I carved the breast of as a whole, and the parts that were jelly like were at the sides, so I am not sure if this is typical of the breast meat near the bone... of if there is something I can do here? It seemed like it may have been where pockets of excess injection formed and the meat got over saturated?

Anyone experience this, or have any tips?

Five hours is a really long cook, especially at 250 degrees, I bet the breast was cooked to the point of pulling. I cook my turkey at 300-325 and I'm always at 165 internal within two hours. Mine are usually 10 to 15 LBS max

Temps were 160-162 throughout breast and 170 in thighs.
Smoker temps were being difficult... Or I was being bad at them :D but went from like 217 to as high as 318. May have been below 250 average... but probably not by a ton.

Basically, injected with chicken broth/butter that was seasoned with paprika and habanero chilli powder.

Most people say that Poultry doesn't benefit from a low/slow cook and should be cooked high heat. I agree, most likely, but I plan on slow cooking a chicken or chicken pieces just to make sure.

I like the sound of your injection, and wanted to say Welcome to the forum.

Back