Potential Ham Issue

Jack Henry

TVWBB Member
So, my father in law just showed up with the ham he wants smoked for tomorrow.

It is a 20.5# "fresh ham whole bone in." I've been trying to figure out from the cooking topic and boards what I have on my hands here. I'd assumed it was a "ready to cook" but I have no way of telling if it has been cured (just the store label, no other packaging). Has some skin and fat on it.

So, if it hasn't been cured, then all I'm doing is bbq'ing a big hunk of pork roast, right? I'm sure it will be good (plan to do the mustard bourbon glaze), but people shouldn't be expecting a typical "city" ham, right?

Right on all counts. You have a fresh ham, i.e., an uncured, uncooked rear leg. It will be 'roast pork', not ham.

Thanks. And I'd imagine the taste and texture would be closer to a roast than a ham? I'm assuming a fresh ham is good, but do people typically pull it or slice it?

So, if I wanted to give people "ham" as they'd expect it, my choices are: 1. Slow down time so I could cure this for a few days, 2. Go get a ready to eat ham and warm it up in the WSM tomorrow. Right?

I did a whole fresh bone in ham this past summer. I brined it for a little over a week before smoking it. When we sliced it, we noticed that the brine had not completely gotten all the way down to the bone in a few places. (I did not have an injector at the time). In my opinion,with easter being so close, go get a precooked ham from your grocery store and heat it up in the WSM. Link to the ham I did --> http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...80069052/m/987108432

Update: Found a "ready to cook" ham at the store! Couldn't believe it as all I'd seen everywhere else was "ready to eat." Going to cook that tomorrow per the mustard and bouron recipie on the cooking topics, and look forward to curing this 20lb bad boy at some point this Spring...

Fresh ham os a favorite. I prefer to flavor brine for several days then make a paste rub. I leave the skin on and cross-hatch (we love the crisp skin) and smoke-roast at ~ 325. Ends up like this.

Good that you found what you were looking for, Jack. Enjoy the cook.

That look great, Kevin. Think I have my plan for the big boy in a couple of weeks (sticking it in the freezer today til the brine).

Happy Easter to all...

Back