Post your Pizza Setups!

Brian Lieder

TVWBB Member
Ive been using a pizza stone made for the oven, and raised it up on some blocks. Its not a good way to do it though, and my stone cracked on me last time i used it. so im wondering what the best setup is for making a pizza in my performer. please post your setup, and pics would be awesome!

Sorry no pictures but I wanted to try pizza cooking on my Performer to see if I would like it but did not want to waste money so I just used a stone right on the grill with three baskets surrounding the stone. I hope you don't jinx me but have not broke the stone and like the results so have not added anything. I am sure I would love the pizza kits that have the open door but simple works too.

Ive been using a pizza stone made for the oven, and raised it up on some blocks. Its not a good way to do it though, and my stone cracked on me last time i used it. so im wondering what the best setup is for making a pizza in my performer. please post your setup, and pics would be awesome!

Did you preheat the stone? I broke one by putting a cold stone directly on a hot grill. I normally pre heat my pizza stone and cast iron wok in the oven before putting it on the grill.

Did you preheat the stone? I broke one by putting a cold stone directly on a hot grill. I normally pre heat my pizza stone and cast iron wok in the oven before putting it on the grill.

I kind of "pre heated" it i guess, i got my coals hot in the chimney, laid them down in the grill, then put my grate, brick, and pizza stone in the grill. so the stone got hot with the grill. Hit something like 450 and i heard it split. Luckily i didnt have the pizza on there yet!

I am just noticing that im not getting a ton of heat up on the top of the pie. my grill term can be pegged (so over 550) then when i put the pizza on it blocks all the heat from getting up in the dome, and my therm will drop to around 300. There's just gotta be a better way because you all cook amazing pies on here.

I have a kettle pizza designated to my second performer and I take a full large chimney of KBB and use the gas assist to start the coals but just for 4-5 minutes to get the bottom coals lit. I then dump the coals in the performer and assemble the kettle pizza and insert the stone. This allows the stone to heat up gradually with the coals and I don't have to move a roaring hot pizza stone around.
When I'm ready to cook the pizzas I add some fire wood and let that get burning really well.
I don't cook my pies at much over 550 and have been very pleased with the results. It takes about 4 minuets to cook a pie turning about a quarter every minuet.
I can get about four pies cooked with one reload of firewood before I run out of heat.

Back