Post your live HeaterMeter Cooks

I would just make sure they're not galvanized or coated in any way, don't want those fumes in your food or your body.

That'll work too. You could also just buy a sheet of that material from home depot or lowes and then cut it out. I made grill grates out of that for my large smoker years ago.

Not crazy at all. Lots of devices these days have functions that auto-update twitter and facebook with updates. I think the place to do this would be from DarrenE's Pit Minder App. DarrenE? What do you think?

Thinking about the suggestion to integrate the "Live Cooks" and "HM Graph's" threads gave me a kinda crazy idea that I am sure Bryan will hate to hear. Someone in another thread posted about enabling twitter through their pi, and I know in the past the ability to add comments to the HM graph had been discussed as well.

So, with "social networking" being all the rage, how about "social pitworking"? If you could add live comments to your HM graphs that would add a social element to the live cooks... how 'bout adding a BlueTooth dongle to the Pi so your smart phone could connect to text comments, upload pictures or maybe even video? So you could text a note that is added to your graph along with a picture when you pop the lid, and have this added to the HM graph as a point that can be clicked to load the picture or whatever... Perhaps an app for the phone could be developed that would allow you to shoot a picture and have it automatically uploaded to the HM via bluetooth and allow you to add a comment?

I know, I know, it's way outside the boundaries of what the HM was designed to do, but it seems to be where this is all heading and goes along with the social networking trend of today.... Like I said, just another crazy idea....

First fully unattended cook with the Smokey Joe Mini-WSM and the heatermeter. Got an 8lb Boston Butt going on a full load of Royal Oak lump w/ maple and apple for smoke here:
http://pyrosheatermeter.dyndns.info:22280/luci
Seems to have been a weird runaway climb that carried the temp about 20deg high for around 40 minutes & it's coming back down slowly - I think it's time to add a servo or at least a ping pong ball valve to let it better clamp down on temps. Other than that, it's been almost ridiculously steady since I put the roast on around 7:30

First fully unattended cook with the Smokey Joe Mini-WSM and the heatermeter. Got an 8lb Boston Butt going on a full load of Royal Oak lump w/ maple and apple for smoke here:
http://pyrosheatermeter.dyndns.info:22280/luci
Seems to have been a weird runaway climb that carried the temp about 20deg high for around 40 minutes & it's coming back down slowly - I think it's time to add a servo or at least a ping pong ball valve to let it better clamp down on temps. Other than that, it's been almost ridiculously steady since I put the roast on around 7:30

Looking at your hm website, it looks like the hm is doing very little, as the blower is only getting to 2%. So, if you dont have a way to close the air inlet then yeah it looks like a servo could help.

Looking at your hm website, it looks like the hm is doing very little, as the blower is only getting to 2%. So, if you dont have a way to close the air inlet then yeah it looks like a servo could help.
Yeah, I had a runaway when I lit a few too many briquettes last weekend & I could NOT get the temp under 250 without taping off the fan inlet (which worked great to pull it all the way down to 175 & then was able to maintain 225 all afternoon once I removed the tape). I'm pretty sure it's just pulling too much fresh air by way of draft & going to a servo or a PPV or an auber adapter will let this little guy do as good of a job of bringing temps DOWN as it does of bringing them up. I'll probably build a ping pong valve this weekend for a proof of concept & see how that behaves. Thanks for the confirmation of my suspicion!

I have a .5 inch ball valve on my uds that I usually have it open a tad less then half. If I removed the hm the temp would drop to below 200, and when the blower is set to 30%, it will raise the temp to setpoint. I have been thinking of trying the ping pong ball valve, just see what effects it would have on temps on my uds. I might give it try this weekend

http://uds.servebeer.com/luci

Just started my uds in the snow for a overnight pork shoulder. Its about 29 degrees outside, lightly snowing with around 5 or so inches around the uds. Heatermeter just in a zip lock bag and no servo. I do have a ball valve about half closed and fan set at 30% max atm.

Last edited:
Why didn't anyone call and tell me my blower wasn't fully attached?!
http://home.capnbry.net:22675/luci

Yeah I got up to 240F at the grate (when the alarm went off) but it was up to 290F in the Dome. I've got the pit probe at grill level and a separate probe in the thermometer hole. I apparently didn't fit the blower fully into the BGE track so it was just sort of dangling there. That's what I get for trying to paint all the trim around my house while BBQing. I promise to sit here and drink homebrew until it looks like everything is under control. It could take all night.

BBQ is just a 7.5lb pork butt for the Bucs game tomorrow. Which temperature should we trust, now that the dome is 40F over the grate temperature?

EDIT: For those wondering where "grate temperature" is. Any coefficient error is ruled out on account of one staying flat while the other climbed. They read within 10F at startup. I would think the grate one would be more influenced by the heat of the fire because isn't fully shielded from that heat. I've done this experiment before and seen the two actually swap which one was higher right in the middle of a cook (no lid opening either!)

Last edited:
Pit probe is best about a inch below center of the grill or if cant have below, then grill level close as possible to center. Dome temp is always going to be hotter then grill grate. On my UDS the weber grill dome is always about 20-40 or so hotter then grill temp.

hey, Bryan my pork shoulder is catching up to your pork shoulder. I would have said Butt, but that just did not seem good to say, lol.:D;):eek:

ha HA! I plan on not foiling my errrr shoulder and letting it run through the night. Extra bark on my butt!

I swapped the probes and put the pit probe back in the dome because I wasn't comfortable letting it go overnight with the huge variation I was seeing between the two sample points. I swapped the Maverick probe with another and it read the same thing. I'm wondering if the drip tray I put some apple juice in is skewing the temp at the grill, but that's an experiment for awake me, and I plan to sleep through this cook.

I hardly ever open the lid to check or to foil, until its about 190 and then I open just to check for doneness. Hopefully I can get it to atleast 3pm before its done. I have church in the morning and right after I have to go to the sports bar to watch some Seahawks at noon.

Yeah I was all over on this one. I started with the control probe at the pit level, but because the temperature difference from the dome was so much higher than I was expecting, I swapped them. Then it ended up really low at the grill level. Because it was so high for a while I thought there was no need to wake up int he middle of the night to foil it, I'd just foil it when I woke up. Well, at 6:30a it was still in the stall at 168F, moving 2F per hour. Foiled it an brought it inside and popped it in the convection at 325F just to get it done.

I leave at 9am to go to the Bucceneers game and I got no time for this!

Back