Post your live HeaterMeter Cooks

I was getting ready to post a link to follow my live cook for the remainder of today and I realized that I have no idea how to actually do it. Do I just post the IP address? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

If you already have your HeaterMeter set up on your home network and port forwarding set up so that your router directs traffic appropriately then yes!

Thanks for the suggestions. I will go ahead and try to configure the port forwarding on my router and give it a shot for my next cook.

using the Aux board that integrates blower,servo, two probe connection and a TC connector. It can go down to -62 on the Thermocouple by using wat is known as an Reference circuit. On the Heatermeter TC it has the Ref. pin connected to ground and therefor can only display temps down to 37F regardless of the TC used. The Reference Circuit is tunable, so that I can set the TC offset in the settings to -99 and then I put the TC in boiling water and tune the trimmer until the temperature reads 211/212F. After its tuned, it will read below 0 and a max of -62, as the Heatermeter wont let settings of more then -99.

Aux. Thermocouple/Rotodamper board

Nice, definitely going to try the thermocouple amp setup in the future but pretty happy with how the setup is working out right now. Seems perfect for fair weather low and slow. At least the hardware anyway, definitely still need to learn more about the config options.

Steve, here is my current config, more than happy to hear any advice:

XurxTo7.png

Is there a way to see what both the servo and fan are doing on the graph?

I'd drop the Integral down to 0.01 and bring the Derivative up to 8 and see how it behaves.

The fan and servo will be at the same level, ie: 25% fan = 25% servo

Adam, not too bad for a first cook... As I am sure you figured out already you need to tweak the PID values a bit... You don't want to see all those peaks and valleys in the blower/servo output, you will get a more stable pit temp if the blower/servo reaction is a bit slower so you don't get those tall peaks, better if you see it running fairly stable in the lower half of the range... Also note that the top vent will have an effect, now that you have a damper you should be able to run that vent open wider....

Thanks for the tips guys. I dropped the fan at max speed only setting and things smoothed out a good bit. Maybe a more open top vent would have helped the damper to regulate better.

Yes, when running in damper only mode (fan at max only) you definitely need to open up the top vent, because you are now using the natural convection process to stoke the fire so you need to allow the air to flow without restriction when the damper opens. When the fan is blowing it can force air out rapidly through a cracked vent, but in passive mode (servo only) you have nothing forcing air so you need to allow it to flow naturally...

Two pork butts on now.. http://grilltemp.ddns.net:8081/

A ton of jitter in the thermocouple which is annoying and new. For some reason I seem to have issues when using more than one food probe. Also the pork butts are tracking oddly differently (I did validate starting temps where right with a thermapen). Will be checking for done-ness as soon as one of them hits 195

Back