Post-Turkey Day: Another batch of ham hocks

Monty House

TVWBB Pro
Split a case of 30 lbs. (15 hocks) with a buddy. Used the Ruhlman brine (sans pink salt) again (3+ day soak), and put in WSM for 3-4 hours at 175-200 until 150-155 internal. Sealed in 8" FoodSaver bags.

Hickory/apple blend. One layer of unlit with 1/2 lit chimney to begin. Left vents at 1/4 the whole time--ran very consistently. Fed unlit as needed. Paid $1.60/lb. at a food distributor that will sell to retail. $48 for the whole case, so $3.20 per hock on average. They've been Swift brand the two times I've purchased. Great deal and they eat up amazingly well in a pot of beans or, my favorite, split pea soup. Happy Holidays!

y3rXSCAl.jpg

fhSF91ml.jpg

FmbB3g6l.jpg

GWXpExPl.jpg

CtCw7H4l.jpg

Last edited:
Nice, Monty! I haven't done this in a while, but now's a good time as we head into soup/stew season! Next time I've got a plan to cook up some ribs, I'll track down some fresh hocks. Always good to have these in the freezer!

Thanks for the reminder/nudge!

R

That's some nice flavor to have on hand, I can't wait to see how you use them. I too like (love) split-pea (& tomato etc) soup. I was telling fam to make some instead of giving all their (1/3) leftovers to me.

Looking forward to the cooks you do with those Monty. They will be awesome I'm sure.

Looking forward to the cooks you do with those Monty. They will be awesome I'm sure.

Barb, my buddy and I swapped a hock. His have pink salt in the brine and are a harder, darker smoke. I'm thinking of either using his for pinto ranch beans or, preferably, slow cooked collard greens.

Back