Post-Mortem Analysis - What Happened to this grill?

Willard

TVWBB Fan
I found this hurt bird by the side of the road. It looks like it was part of a cook out fire and they might have used an extinguisher. Does anyone recognize the yellow power?

The last two pictures are the after first cleanup. I just sprayed some degreaser and used the hose.

From the stickers in the back, this grill look like it was recently bought.

At first glance, looks like all it needs is the rubber line for the gas (wrong name I'm sure) flav bars and cooking grates.

IMG_5896.jpeg

IMG_5897.jpeg

IMG_5898.JPG

IMG_5899.JPG

IMG_5900.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5901.JPG
    IMG_5901.JPG
    231.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5902.JPG
    IMG_5902.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5903.JPG
    IMG_5903.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5904.JPG
    IMG_5904.JPG
    178.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5905.JPG
    IMG_5905.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Yeah, looks like a fire at the tank. Overall, doesn't look too bad. I don't see any signs of a grease fire and the cook box and burners don't look to be incinerated.

- good clean up, and scuff sand of any paint damaged.
- massey ferguson farm implement gray paint the cart
- black out the cookbox and lid end caps with rustoleum high heat ultra semigloss
- maybe repaint the ends of the end table black to match the cookbox and lid

and, of course a new regulator and supply hose

Not bad for free. It doesn't look as "toasted" to me as I would expect. I agree with DanHoo's recommendations. Might need to invest in a few external parts depending on how far you want to go with restoring, but being relatively new, that might be worth it.

Tim & Dan nailed it. Definitely powder from a dry chem fire extinguisher. Should clean off fairly easily except where it was in contract with high heat. Definitely a fire at the tank connection with extension above it to the end cap above where the tank would have been plus the electronics on the right side. Hope they left you the grates and flavorizer bars!

Leighton, no, the grates and flav bars were probably thrown out in the garbage. I picked it after garbage trucks had gone by. Big items are picked by a separate truck in the late morning and I happened upon it during my lunch walk. I have now 8 Weber grills I have picked up which I hope to restore during the winter. Lots of folks dispose them at the end of summer, avoiding having to clean them up.

This is relatively new grill so I may keep for myself.

How does a fire at the tank start? Is it a combination of fire from the cookbox blowing out and a loose regulator?

Could be a number of reasons why the propane was leaking. Bad "o" ring or loose connection. Gas would easily have found an ignition source (normal flame in the grill) resulting in a flashover. That could have increased the fuel to the new uncontained fire. We would respond to 3 or 4 propane grill fires a year during the summer. Fortunately, most were away from houses in a backyard.

Its a good reminder to not run your grill right next to the siding of the house..... I can't believe how many people I know that tuck the grill under the eave with just enough space to open the lid --- and run them at full tilt -- just the heat coming out of the back (along with the grease smoke) is bad enough on the siding - god help you if there is a grease fire...... or worse.

Back