Possible upgrade to my controller

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Due to recent issues with the controller board on my MM pellet grill and due to a high failure rate a lack of parts I am considering purchasing one of the Pellet Pro models from Smoke Daddy. They're plug and play for nearly any model, made in USA as well. For a while they even made a WIFI model but I can no longer find it. Though just threw a bid on one on FleaBay. Though the seller has it with one of those "reserve" auctions. A lot of BS IMO. List it at the min price you will accept. Period.

From all I understand, Smoke Daddy is a very good company. I have some of their charcoal pellets.

As far as eBay, reserve auctions are annoying, but if you wind up top bidder but don’t reach the reserve, sometimes the seller will negotiate a deal. I once bought a first edition 1871 book - my wife’s absolute favorite - and was the only bidder, winning the auction at the opening bid price. The seller moaned to me that she didn’t understand the auction process (definitely not “reserves”). I told her she could at least know that it would be treasured and not just bought to resell. Like you said, though, she should have decided what the least she was willing to accept and listed it at that.

Last edited:
Yeah, honestly it's a gamble the auction has an opening bid price of $100. For me $100 is a lot to "gamble" with. (I have to rebuild 2 mixers to net out $100). I have a way of justifying my $$$ :D So bottom line I doubt I will get it as even if I am only bidder, I am not playing that game

But, auctions by nature are supposed to be a highest bidder wins deal……not meant to be classifieds
Fully understand that. Just saying that, lets say I end up highest bid but not to "reserve". I've given my best and highest offer. I just don't want to go down that rabbit hole of playing that game. If I offer XX.00 and have the "winning" bid I would hope to "win"

Years ago I was very active on E Bay and always set my starting bid price at the least I would accept. Even today I won't bid on anything with a reserve price. Also, in ads that say "call for price" is a no go for me.

I have given some thought to upgrading my controller also. The non WIFI base controller that Camp Chef uses now is more flexible than mine for smoke control. It's plug and play and a very simple installation.
The issue is after one hell of a lot of cooks on the CC and not a single failure, I don't want to fix what ain't broke. I'm also happy with the way it performs now. I guess If it goes belly up, then I'll do the upgrade.

Last edited:
In a few more hours I guess. I bid $100, no one else has bid but it said reserve not meant. I don't think I am going to go much if ay higher. Especially since I just heard from Sam's and my new controller (supposedly improved) will be on it's way very soon. But WIFI would be cool. I just don't want to drop a lot of coin here

Back