Possible Idea I Would Like To Try

Tommo B

Hi guys,

I'm wondering,

What ive gathered is the heatermeter essentially tracks temperature and adjusts a fan to suit within specific parameters.

My question is, Would it be possible to use the probes sensing temperature to adjust a servo motor to open vents at both the fire end and the chimney end of the cooking box instead of it adjusting the speed of a fan?

Say for example their is to much heat in the food cooking box then it will open the chimney vent more and close the firebox vent, and vise versa if the temperature is getting to low to close off the chimney and open the firebox.

Is this possible?

Cheers
Tommo

Well it already supports a single servo, but not two. I think one is sufficient if you open the chimney vent a little extra and just open and close the firebox vent. At least that's how I do it with my Big Green Egg.,

I run my pit barrel cooker with the exhaust side open a bit more than needed, and have the intake only controlled by the servo. All of the air going into the pit comes through the servo controlled damper and it works fantastic. Only thing I can't do is ramp from low n slow to hot b fast really quickly like you'd be able to do with a fan. But it doesn't take THAT long with the damper at 100% to bring it up.

Thats awesome Bryan. Really enjoyed reading your github post as well. Very informative.
Do you have a link to the servo motor build at all? Does it require all the same hardware as the heatermeter?

Thats awesome Bryan. Really enjoyed reading your github post as well. Very informative.
Do you have a link to the servo motor build at all? Does it require all the same hardware as the heatermeter?

The heatermeter has servo output on the cat5 Jack. You would need to either build something for the Servo or you can ask anybody in the sticky threads to make you a damper. I recommend the RD3, jist because I have making them and using them since they were made by Ralph. I also make the adapter board that work with them or any other damper.

There are sticky links to servo damper builds on the top of this forum: the RotoDamper, the Adapt-A-Damper, the MicroDamper, and the Barrel/Servo damper. They require no additional HeaterMeter hardware if you have HeaterMeter v4.1 - v4.3 (apart from the servo itself). 4.0 requires you to solder wires to the circuit board to "bring out" the servo lines.

Taking this one step further.... Besides not having a CAT5 jack and servo connections the HMv4.0 has a different blower circuit than V4.1, and yet another blower circuit in HMv4.2 (and 3). I updated my HMv4.0 to have the v4.1 blower circuit and then the HMv4.2 (current) blower circuit so I could add a CAT5 jack to my v4.0 and can also use voltage mode for the blower, in addition to adding the RC filters on the probes. These updates bring the HMv4.0 up to date with the current release set of features. I made a thread about how it did the mods, including diagrams and instructions on how to do it. Check it out if you are interested in doing a full update on your v4.0.
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?50543-HMv4-0-to-HMv4-1/page3

Back