Portuguese BBQ Chicken Recipe?

Jim McKelvey

TVWBB All-Star
Hey everyone...way back when, in New Jersey, I used to go to a place in Newark - Ferry Street BBQ. There are other places too, Burnet BBQ in Union is similar. They typically split chicken and grilled with a hot sauce - it was really pretty good. They also cooked spare ribs this way...high heat over charcoal, with a spicy, but not overpowering sauce. Anyone know what I am talking about or have a recipe ?

Thanks - Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim McKelvey:
Hey everyone...way back when, in New Jersey, I used to go to a place in Newark - Ferry Street BBQ. There are other places too, Burnet BBQ in Union is similar. They typically split chicken and grilled with a hot sauce - it was really pretty good. They also cooked spare ribs this way...high heat over charcoal, with a spicy, but not overpowering sauce. Anyone know what I am talking about or have a recipe ?

Thanks - Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I know the Portuguese use a marinade called Vinho Di Alho. You could find a recipe for it and mix up a batch.

Jim, we have Portuguese chicken places in TOronto which make a grilled chicken the same as what you described. They call the sauce they use "Piri Piri". Its a pepper sauce and I can almost swear on it that it's almost the same as Frank's Red Hot sauce. The chicken is put on spits and is seasoned with you basic herbs and spices and their pimento sauce. The little containers of sauce they give you is as I stated....a sauce just like Frank's Red Hot. Its good stuff but let me know if it's the same there in Jersey as I described.

Thanks for the replies guys...I'm just not sure. Dom - Yes, it does seem similar and I have often thought taste was similar to Frank's. I'm guessing chicken sits in marinade for a period and then I recall the guys "splashing" the meet with hot sauce as it was being grilled.
Will hv to tried the frango piri piri (the link doesn't work, but I will search the site) and the vinho.

Thanks again - Jim

Fixed the link. srry bout that. finding posting to the forum a little challenging from the phone

My go-to for Peri-Piri Chicken:

(enough for two whole chickens)

1/2 cup evoo
1/3 fresh lemon juice
8 tbs butter melted
4 tbs hot sauce (I use good quality hot sauce with habaneros)
1 tbs sweet paprika (i use smoked)
1 tsp ground coriander
3 cloves garlic
3 scallions (white and green parts, trimmed and sliced
3 tbs coarsely chopped italian parsley
1 piece (1 inch) fresh ginger, sliced
2 bay leaves crumbled
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper

Blend all ingredients in a food processor.

For me I butterfly chicken and marinate for 12hrs reserving half the marinade. Serve remaining sauce (room temp or little warm) table side for dipping or baste before chicken comes off the grill. I've also roasted some spuds in the sauce. SO tasty!

Stephan
Tried your recipe with a few tweaks...added some cumin, sub lime for lemon and reduced salt by a quarter. We did leg quarters on the gasser...very good! Couple of questions...
1 - the marinade became very pasty in fridge..normal?
2 - i cut the salt, but think that was unnecessary, seems like not a "salty" recipe?
3 - how do you cook? I did gasser, high heat to get some crisp, then finished at 350ish.
Thanks we are going to serve at party this weekend!
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim McKelvey:
Stephan
Tried your recipe with a few tweaks...added some cumin, sub lime for lemon and reduced salt by a quarter. We did leg quarters on the gasser...very good! Couple of questions...
1 - the marinade became very pasty in fridge..normal? <span class="ev_code_RED">Yes, only because the butter firms back up in the fridge. I usually leave it on the counter for a hr or so and pull it from the fridge a hour before cooking. </span>
2 - i cut the salt, but think that was unnecessary, seems like not a "salty" recipe? <span class="ev_code_RED">1tsp for 2 whole chickens isn't that much. I honestly don't measure i just pinch some out of my salt bowl (kosher salt)</span>
3 - how do you cook? I did gasser, high heat to get some crisp, then finished at 350ish. <span class="ev_code_RED">I cook it on my 22.5 OTG using Kingsford Comp. Combo of direct / indirect until perfection is reached cooking @ ~400ish</span>
Thanks we are going to serve at party this weekend!
Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Stefan - Took some of your additional guidance and did the chicken for friends over the weekend. Was a big hit! THanks for the recipe!

Back