Portable grill newbie needs advice

Paul Warner

TVWBB Super Fan
Despite owning numerous charcoal grills and a so called portable pellet grill I am looking to dive into the portable
grill game primarily because my current abode is a high rise apartment.

Obviously my first port of call is the world of Weber portable options and I want to get best bang for buck (obviously), criteria below:

1,Very portable not just small
2, Big enough for 4 people for steaks/chops/burgers
3, Gas is preferred

Without any real portable grill knowledge some guidance is appreciated. Looking at current range and pricing I think the new
Traveler compact at $299 ticks most boxes and i imagine a griddle insert maybe available in time?!

looks like good value, thanks in advance

Looks like a griddle is available for this already, further down the page.
I use the 18" Jumbo Joe for my travel needs......or heavy weather needs, it sits in the garage.
This option isn't the most simple option but it sure does a good job for what I need it for.
It is also less expensive but you need to travel with many items like a chimney, charcoal and a fire starter for example.

1712854947856.png

Looks like a griddle is available for this already, further down the page.
I use the 18" Jumbo Joe for my travel needs......or heavy weather needs, it sits in the garage.
This option isn't the most simple option but it sure does a good job for what I need it for.
It is also less expensive but you need to travel with many items like a chimney, charcoal and a fire starter for example.

View attachment 89119
I see the griddle insert but thought it was for the larger original but looks to fit compact too! Thanks

I assume you have checked with the apartment manager as to what is allowed in your location...also, the small single use propane containers are on the way out in some locations (notably CA, but also possibly NY and others); the small refillable containers that can be filled from a larger tank, or a 3lb. tank, might be the more portable, future-proof and environmentally-friendly way to go.

I don't think the Weber Gas GoAnywhere can be beat for compact portability, but the Traveler has a stand and can be wheeled about. The Q-series is less portable and requires two hands to carry, and is not intended to be transported with a stand, although I'm reasonably certain that people still manage to wheel them about. The use of charcoal grills may be restricted in some areas during certain times of the year, and adequate time must be allowed for the coals to extinguish before packing away. There are also portable pellet grills coming into the market, but Weber has not entered that segment of the market...yet.

Back