pork tenderloin internal temps

Todd Randall

TVWBB Pro
Hi All,

I'm smoking pork tenderloin this weekend for the parents. Last time I did it, I brined in just a plain ole sugar/salt water combo and smoked at high heat (I think) for an internal temp of 135 - 140 if I remember correctly.

Those tenderloins were great, juicy, tasty, yum yum. However, I do remember them being a little pink inside, which I've learned on this forum is ok as long as we got it over 130.

So actually my question is, what temps do I need to take tenderloin to so that there is NO pink? I'm not the biggest fan of cutting into pork and seeing pink, neither is the wife, and I KNOW the parents will think it's undercooked.

So I figure as long as I go with the brine again, I should still be able to turn out some moist pork even if I take it to a higher temp?

Would you agree/disagree and what would that no pink pork temp be? 145? 150?

Thanks,
Todd

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Todd Randall:
Hi All,

I'm smoking pork tenderloin this weekend for the parents. Last time I did it, I brined in just a plain ole sugar/salt water combo and smoked at high heat (I think) for an internal temp of 135 - 140 if I remember correctly.

Those tenderloins were great, juicy, tasty, yum yum. However, I do remember them being a little pink inside, which I've learned on this forum is ok as long as we got it over 130.

So actually my question is, what temps do I need to take tenderloin to so that there is NO pink? I'm not the biggest fan of cutting into pork and seeing pink, neither is the wife, and I KNOW the parents will think it's undercooked.

So I figure as long as I go with the brine again, I should still be able to turn out some moist pork even if I take it to a higher temp?

Would you agree/disagree and what would that no pink pork temp be? 145? 150?

Thanks,
Todd </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Todd, pull the tenderloin off when it hits between 145*-150*, and immediately wrap it in foil and let rest for about 30 minutes. This will continue the cooking process just enough to get rid of the pink, but will also leave you with a nice moist piece of meat without overcooking. Good luck!

Hi Todd. I caution you when you want to get rid of the pink. I would think that if you had good tenderloin before at 130-140 that may be a good area to stay at. I do a lot of smoked pork chops in the summer, and we aim for a temp of 160for them, don't know if that will work for the tenderloin though. If you try to get rid of the pink, you may end up drying out the meat to much, and it may become tough and chewy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave K:
Hi Todd. I caution you when you want to get rid of the pink. I would think that if you had good tenderloin before at 130-140 that may be a good area to stay at. I do a lot of smoked pork chops in the summer, and we aim for a temp of 160for them, don't know if that will work for the tenderloin though. If you try to get rid of the pink, you may end up drying out the meat to much, and it may become tough and chewy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As long as the tenderloin is not actually on the grill until it gets to 160* it will still be fairly tender and moist. Brining in this case will certainly benefit the end results.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">which I've learned on this forum is ok as long as we got it over 130. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's 137 for pork. The pork can be pulled sooner than that--the internal temp will rise during resting--but a pink interior will remain if doing so. Larry's suggestion usually works (I'd go with the lower temp of his suggested spread if doing tenderloin, the higher if doing loin). Also, slicing, then exposing the slices to air (when you arrange them for serving) can reduce the appearance of any possibly remaining pinkness.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">which I've learned on this forum is ok as long as we got it over 130. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's 137 for pork. The pork can be pulled sooner than that--the internal temp will rise during resting--but a pink interior will remain if doing so. Larry's suggestion usually works (I'd go with the lower temp of his suggested spread if doing tenderloin, the higher if doing loin). Also, slicing, then exposing the slices to air (when you arrange them for serving) can reduce the appearance of any possibly remaining pinkness. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point Kevin and I might add, that you if you plan on serving a sauce or gravy with the pork, adding it hot over the slices would also reduce any remaining pink. Therefore letting you finish at a lower internal temp (137*) and letting the sauce complete the cooking on the serving platter.

Thanks guys for the quick responses!!!!

137, got it.....man I hope to never mess that up! :) I need to create a cheat sheet matrix and hang it on a wall in the garage, I always seem to forget the next time around I do something, and then I also get lazy trying to find it again :)

Chris should create a virtualweberbullet safe internal temps meat cheat sheet poster in the shopping section of the site, I'd buy one!!!

The plan will be:
1. brine it
2. cook to 145
3. wrap in foil for 30 minutes
4. slice and expose to air for a few minutes prior to tableing.

Thanks guys!!!

I generally worry about cooking it too long and making the meat come out a little chewy. Test a slice, and if it is, make your slices thinner.

Back