Pork Spare Ribs Tomorrow

Joe P

TVWBB Member
I picked up 2 racks of spares at BJ's today. I trimed them St. Louis style. I will smoke the ribs tomorrow in the WSM.

I trimmed off the sternum section and cartilidge (small ribs) off each rack. On each rack this section is about 10 inches long by about two inches wide. It seems there's quite a bit of meat there but the bones are small and some elongated cartilage as well. My question to you is how do you cook this section?

Just rub them and throw them on with the ribs. They'll finish sooner, and you can have a little snack. Some people like them as well as the ribs themselves, as the thinness of the meat yields a nice barkiness. Also an opportunity to experiment with other rubs without sacrificing an entire rack.

Hey Joe, are you talking about the rib tips? If so rub them and smoke them like normal and when there almost done cut them up into pieces, put them into a pot with some bbq sauce and let simmer for awhile. Now you have some good rib tips to eat!!!
icon_cool.gif

Windy City Smokers

Thanks for the tips on the rib tips! I guess that's why some folks prefer baby backs. I will try smoking the tips as well and possibly adding to some chili I'm making. Can't wait!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug D:
Just rub them and throw them on with the ribs. They'll finish sooner, and you can have a little snack. Some people like them as well as the ribs themselves, as the thinness of the meat yields a nice barkiness. Also an opportunity to experiment with other rubs without sacrificing an entire rack. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree! They make great tasty experiments. Sometimes my wife likes them better than the ribs.

Back