Pork Spare Ribs on Weber Gas Grill

RichieNJ

TVWBB Fan
I got a few slabs of pork spare ribs from my butcher. I intended on St. Louis style but all they had was frozen and I didn't want that. Besides, the regular pork spares were cheaper. Anyway, I don't really have any experience with these and would like to use my gas grill (which hasn't gotten any use since I got my WSM in January) so I need to know any suggestions. In the past I have used Webers foil recipe for St. Louis style with great results. Only takes about 1.5 - 2 hours that way. Would standard pork spare ribs be the same with just allowing a little more cook time since they're bigger? I appreciate the help.

Thanks
Richie

Do them in your WSM. St. Louis ribs are just extra-trimmed spares, so you're good to go. Just chop off the breastbone, cut the flap off the bone side, trim off the last little tiny bone, pull the membrane and dust with rub. If you are doing more than a couple on the WSM either coil them and hold them in place with bamboo kabab skewers or bend them U-shaped on a rack. I'm gonna do a couple of racks myself tomorrow. It's been a long, cold winter.

It's hard to do more than one at a time on a gas grill, unless your grill is huge. I used to do them that way. Took about an hour and 15 at 300-325. Hit and miss though.

Jeff

Just search YouTube for St. Louis trim and you'll see how it's done...pretty simple after the first one. I have done them on my Genesis low and slow with the rotissorie and they came out great. Only one rack fits on it though.

Thank you all. I did these on my weber gas grill this weekend and they came out awesome. I used webers recipe. Foil and grill on medium heat (350-450) turning occasionally for 60 minutes. I actually did 90 minutes because these were pork spares (much meatier) and now baby backs. After the 90 minutes I took off the grill and let sit for 10 minutes (still wrapped on foil) after the rest, remove foil and return to grill for about 10 mins. Apply bbq sauce as desired. Pretty damn easy and again these came out great. I didn't take pics this time around bit will the next time.

Richie

Back