Pork Shoulder ?

Pat D

TVWBB Member
I picked up a 7 lb. pork shoulder, this will be my first run in the WSM and my first shoulder ever. I just put my rub on and I'm trying to figure out where to put the thermometer? I thought there was just a shoulder bone but it seems like there are bones crossing through the meat spaced out from front to back.

Pat,

Welcome to the site. A pork shoulder (Boston Butt or Pork Butt as they're more commonly called) should have only one bone, part of the shoulder blade. If what you have has other bones spaced like you say sounds like it was cut with part of the rib cage intact. Shouldn't hurt the cooking process, just never have seen it. You want to get your thermometer tip as close to the middle of the butt as you can while avoiding having it near the bones. I trim the fat cap on the butts I cook, not completely but enough for some of the meat to show. Let us know how it goes.

Scotty W.

I trim the fat cap off. Others put it fat cap up, with the thought that it will keep the meat moister as it renders. Others put it fat cap down. I think it's really personal preference.

Thank you Scotty!

Do you cook with the fat cap down or up?

I agree with Dan, it's pretty much a personal preference as to how much you trim if at all. As I said, I trim mine so some meat shows but still have some fat. I cook with that side up.

I'm going to go fat cap down with no trim on this first one. Then next time I'll trim and see how that one ends up. I'm kicking myself because I didn't get more meat, seems a waste to use all this fuel for just one Butt. Any good ideas on something easy I can throw on for lunch while the pork smokes?

Alarm is set for 5:00am tomorrow to get the fire going, plan on throwing the Butt on at 6:00 and from what I've read, should take anywhere from 10 - 14 hours. Going with the minion method and apple wood, I'm sure I've forgotten something and I guess I'll figure that out when it comes up!

I'm kicking myself because I didn't get more meat, seems a waste to use all this fuel for just one Butt.

I always do at least two butts because I buy them in the two pack at Sam's. I've found myself wanting to do 4 because as you said, seems a waste to use all this . . .on just one butt. I'm not so worried about the fuel as the time. It doesn't take much more time to do 4 butts so why not? Also, once you pull it and vacuum pack it, you save a lot of time by being able to go to the freezer and make a quick and very good tasting meal.

Next time I'm loading this thing up!

I'm 2 hours into my smoke and surprised my meat temp is already 125. Smoker temp is at 250.

You'll get a pretty quick temp rise in the beginning but as your meat temp gets closer to your cooker temp than the temp rise will slow down. You'll also hit the stall at around 160 and it can take quite a while for it to get through that.

I hit 160 at 9:50am and it did slow but continued to rise. I'm at 175 now at 11:40am, almost 5 hours into the smoke. This is going way faster than I expected, I thought for 7 lbs. I would be at this for at least 10 hours, possibly 14 on the high end. I'm 20 degrees off my take off temp and only 5 hours into it. Makes me think I did something wrong somewhere.

Well this is probably late but temp is only a suggestion, make sure it is evenly cooked and most of all probe it for tenderness. You should be looking for hot knife in butter feeling after you get through the bark. Doubt you did anything wrong except stress over it ;) I stress over it still and my wife gives me SO much grief over it. Just take some notes on what you did, how you did it and what you did it too. The same cut of meat will not cook the same all the time, also quoting Harry Soo, BBQ is ready when its ready...(what else cat you say?)

Ha! My wife was laughing at me an hour ago as I paced around the smoker!

Mytemp is 182 now after 7 1/2 hours, it's slowing down a bit. I'm just a bit under 250 and holding steady for hours! This machine is fantastic.

Is an hour long enough to let the Butt rest before pulling?

I'm not ready to take him off yet, just trying to figure out when dinner will be served.

Well this is probably late but temp is only a suggestion, make sure it is evenly cooked and most of all probe it for tenderness. You should be looking for hot knife in butter feeling after you get through the bark. Doubt you did anything wrong except stress over it ;) I stress over it still and my wife gives me SO much grief over it. Just take some notes on what you did, how you did it and what you did it too. The same cut of meat will not cook the same all the time, also quoting Harry Soo, BBQ is ready when its ready...(what else cat you say?)

I took the Butt off at temp 195, 4:50pm. It was almost exactly 10 hours from start to finish, crazy that the 1.5 hours per lb. actually was spot on. I did the "hot knife in butter" test and from what I could figure, it passed. The pork has been in a cooler wrapped in foil and towels for an hour and I'm waiting another hour before I pull while I try a mac and cheese recipe on the smoker.

I have to say that if all my future smoking adventures go as smoothly as this, I'm a lucky man! The WSM kills it. I'm still right on temp after 11 1/2 hours with minimal adjustments throughout the smoke. Now I'm hoping the pork passes the taste test!

Back