Pork Shoulder Skin?

Jas

TVWBB Fan
Skin On or Off? Up or Down? Cooking on a 22" WSM, I have several took cook some with the skin and some without. I have two smaller ones less than 8#'s and 2 probably close to 10#'s a piece. I was going to place smaller ones on bottom rack and larger two on top. I had planned on using water in the pan to try and even the time out and they all end about the same time. Should I go with foiled pan and put the smaller ones on top?

Thanks for the input.
Jason

If doing a true shoulder, then it's a picnic and butt connected. ( but at 8 or 10 # you prolly have have a picnic or butt ) I like the skin on the picnic portion and would just score it, or brush it with water, beer or juice cause that makes it tender enough to munch on or you could save it for cracklins.
The Picnic portion is more like a fresh ham roast so leave the rind or skin on at the beginning ( to shield it from the heat and to help it baste in it's natural fat), and you could strip it later on and add the rub.
I like 275 so just a foiled pan and I would place the big ones on top, but you might be able to squeeze all four on top.

Tim

Label says pork shoulder picnic. I would like for them to finish near each other. The two smaller ones are being cooked for some other people so it is ok if they finish earlier. I am thinking I'll start them about 10 or 11 tomorrow night to have the smaller ones finished by 11. The two larger ones can take as long as they need. I doubt ill make anything with the skin if i take it off.

Hey Jason, how did it turn out? The first weekend I had my WSM, I did two picnics, because they were on sale for 99 cents a pound...and I cooked them both very differently. It was a test, and I was a new WSM owner, after smoking on a stick burner for a lot of years. So, if I was going to ruin something, I'd rather it be something only costing $7-$8, than a brisket costing $50+. The first one, I just smoked like a ham to 145* internal temp...it took about 4 hours at 230*. On that one, I left the skin on and sliced it just like ham when done. It was great! That night, I did another one for pulled pork. I removed the skin, as no amount of smoke is going to penetrate that skin, and smoked it at 250* for 12 hours, to 202* internal temp. It was great as well...and actually the best pulled pork I'd ever done, up to that point. Here's the link to it: http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?64239-First-Smokes-(plural)-on-New-22-5-WSM-This-Past-Weekend

Back