Pork Shoulder or Pork Butt

I am new to the board and awaiting my purchase for a WSM. I am new to smoking and have been using a propane GOSM with decent results. It just seems like the taste isn't their with a propane smoker.

My question is, I have been making pulled pork with Pork Shoulder and all seems ok. What is the difference in taste and texture with Shoulder vs. Butt? Although Butt is more expensive I here it is the better meat to use.

Just curious. Thanks for allowing me to intrude on your board.

Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael Catalano:
I am new to the board and awaiting my purchase for a WSM. I am new to smoking and have been using a propane GOSM with decent results. It just seems like the taste isn't their with a propane smoker.

My question is, I have been making pulled pork with Pork Shoulder and all seems ok. What is the difference in taste and texture with Shoulder vs. Butt? Although Butt is more expensive I here it is the better meat to use.

Just curious. Thanks for allowing me to intrude on your board.

Mike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A whole pork shoulder contains 2 cuts, a picnic and a boston butt. It sounds like you have been cooking the picnic portion.

The picnic is a bit leaner, will still have the skin attached and will have a little less finished yield.

The boston butt is much more marbled, will be skinless and will have more yield and less waste.

Personally, I like both cuts. However the boston butt will be far more forgiving than a picnic will.

Back